Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crashwheelock

Toro 22040 ignition coil

crashwheelock
14 years ago

Hi all, I just joined this group. My friend is looking for an ignition coil for his commercial Toro 22040. Any ideas on where to find one new or used?

Thanks for your help

Comments (15)

• canguy
    14 years ago

Try a Toro LCE dealer for p/n 81-2820. That has a Suzuki 2 stroke, one of my favorites, but parts are getting scarce.

• crashwheelock
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

• Greg Goyeneche
    14 years ago

I use both Commercial Toro/Suzuki and a Consumer one and have parts in my boneyard. Have your friend email me if he's interested B4 I start digging around.

• itsmygarden
    14 years ago

crashwheelock are you still looking for the 81-2820 coil? If so, I have a used one,

• saaboc
    14 years ago

I'm considering sourcing a spare coil for my Torozuki 20680...what's the going rate? Are all 2 cycle Suzuki coils the same? Can any other coil be retro-fitted by grinding the flywheel contour to match?

• saaboc
    14 years ago

I'm considering sourcing a spare coil for my Torozuki 20680...what's the going rate? Are all 2 cycle Suzuki coils the same? Can any other coil be retro-fitted by grinding the flywheel contour to match?

• Greg Goyeneche
    14 years ago

Toro used 81-1990 thru about 1985-86. It also crosses to 17-1529. From 1985-86 thru end of 2 cycle production the coil was 81-2820. Price new is about $150 to $175. Ebay seems to get anywhere from $25 to $100.

To best of my knowledge the two coils ARE NOT interchangeable. 81-1990 is a two-leg and uses flywheel with single magnet. 81-2820 is three-leg and uses two magnet flywheel. BTW Briggs went the other way in the early 1960's from three-leg to two-leg. You might be able to interchange, provided you change BOTH flywheel and coil. This could be done successfully on Briggs, but I never did with Suzuki.

I offered one to a guy on the forum, but he didn't follow up, so I ended up selling two of them on Ebay for about $65.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toro 81-2820 Coil

• dan7656_columbus_rr_com
    12 years ago

i could sure use a 81-2820 coil. I simply cannot afford 140-180 for a new one. if any one has a used one I would be most grateful to hear from you.

• greg1564
    12 years ago

Gee guys, this must be a popular part - I need one too!
    81-2820 coil
    Super expensive part $165. Can anyone help me out...would really appreciate it. Used is fine. Thanks

• dan7656_columbus_rr_com
    12 years ago

hope you found one. the prices vary greatly. I found a whole working engine for 65. some are trying to sell just the coil used for 60-100. I found new from 120-180. bought the whole engine so I could have spare parts for mine. I can't sell you a coil but I have other parts from this engine I could part with. If you need something else. new parts are out there, used are harder to find believe it or not.

• viking427
    12 years ago

I posted this in another thread, but it applies here too since the coils on the Suzuki 47P are in discussion;

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/images/novainst.gif

..."The big problem with many of todays small engine coils is they have their electronic spark triggering diodes (vs. yesteryear's spark triggering mechanical points) epoxied directly into the surface of the coils themselves. This is that little 1 inch square "bump" visible on the outside of the otherwise cylindrically shaped coil consisting of copper windings. This little "integrated" diode takes a lot of abuse by constant engine heat and vibration and eventually gives out ..at which time the owner finds out he must replace the entire coil assembly (even though technically the coil itself is just fine), to the tune of $200+ in some cases.

The coil on the famously popular Suzuki 2 stroke 47P engine on the older Toro commercials is notorious for crapping out like this and folks get a few more miles out of those coils by cooking them in their kitchen oven for 20 minutes at 220*f. Its not exactly clear how this works to temporarily "fix" the coil internals, but its often successful. If someone were to open up the epoxy & paper covering from one of these coils and replace just the bad OEM diode by wiring in one of these aftermarket diodes, there would be many grateful Suzuki 47P owners. Alternatively, bypassing the diode and going back to mechanical points trigger (such as found only in the 47P's first year of production 1983) would also be a solution."..

• grizaz
    12 years ago

Viking427 - Thanks for the "oven" TIP! After repeated trips to two different shops, each determined "bad coil" and replacement cost of $200.00. I found a new coil on line for $139.00 but did not want to invest in an old mower purchased in 1993. However, after reading your input about baking the coil and living in Arizona I placed the mower in direct sun (106 F) for 20 minutes and walla! Mower started and continued to run. I am interested in replacing the diode. How can I get detailed replacement info and where can I purchase the NEW diode?

• viking427
    12 years ago

The Nova is the most notable transistorized ignition module and is rebranded by a couple other suppliers;

zzz.gardentractorpullingtips.com/images/nova.gif
    (www instead of zzz - no hotlinking in GW apparently)

Rotary "Nova II" module; P/N 8786
    Stens "MegaFire II" module; P/N 440-465
    Oregon "Universal Ignition Module"; P/N 33-053 (or 147-020)

The leads are long enough to mount it outside for better cooling and its light enough to mount just about anywhere with just a generous dab of outdoor grade (50 year) silicone for vibration absorbing.

If you you're successful you must report back with a detailed report - thats the deal for sharing information :)

• RodGrosse
    11 years ago

looking for a suzuki 49p engine for a 21" toro mower. Don't care if ignition module is bad. this moyer is self propelled, so the engine must have a v-belt pulley on the bottom of the crankshaft.

• RodGrosse
    11 years ago

In my posting I said I was looking for a Suzuki 49P engine. That's wrong. I need a 47PE4 suzuki two-stroke engine. I have a permanent fix for the 81-1990 ignition coil so I don't care if it's bad. My problem is a connecting rod knock. Or would somebody sell me a good connecting rod and wrist pin that would do fine.