Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Gator blades

Posted by chesapeakebeach (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 13:52

Is there more than one kind of "Gator" blade on the market? I see the ones sold at Jack's Small Engines ("Gator Mulcher") and then there are "Oregon Gator Blades." FWIW I'm looking to replace a blade on a 21" Craftsman mower.

Are these the same or different blades? Are there others available?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Gator blades

I get longer life out Oregen blade they use hard bar to make blade from others use soft steel then heat harden blades they always softer. Hard bar blades are harder to sharpen but hold edge longer.

o

Not real familiar with "gator blades" myself, I recently learned from a mower dealer that referring to a gator blade is more of a generic term anymore. It describes the serrations in the lift section of the blade. Also, those serrations aren't sharp or assist in cutting. They are bent to direct the grass clippings toward the center to keep them in the cutting area longer. I too have an Oregon gator on my Honda. To my surprise they have come out with one that has the deep downward bends, and blade brake holes correctly placed to mount under a Honda deck. Snapper makes a "double wave" blade that MAY work on your mower. It does a good job. Sears themselves may also have a couple options. In fact I believe they too sell a gator type blade.

o

Thanks all for the feedback. Mowernut is correct that Sears sells a Craftsman gator-style blade -- that's what I went with and I like it a lot. Mulches very well, and the steel is much thicker than on the wimpy OEM blade I took off. A good investment of a few extra dollars.

o

• Posted by lew916 sacramento. ca (My Page) on
    Tue, May 18, 10 at 20:34

Mowernut, does the Oregon Gator blade on your Honda HRC216HXA correct the random standing grass blades that the HRC216HXA is known for? I have a HRC216HXA and I'm still trying to solve that problem of random standing blades of grass after I mow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here