Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
toro gas/electric starter not working - short vsn

Posted by mvron (My Page) on
Mon, May 10, 10 at 14:26

The battery is good - 12.9 volts. I checked the voltage all the way through both the connector coming out of the battery and the connector going to the starter switch (I removed the black wire from the engine block and the red wire from the starter switch). When I re-connected those two wires to the block and the starter switch I get nothing.
Ideas. thanks for ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: toro gas/electric starter not working - short vsn

You recently posted a question to paul in category Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.): QUESTION: I have a Toro model 20074, SN 270000325. The battery is good at 12.9 volts. I have followed the connectors - using the start bar and the key switch for testing - so the current is running all the way through. The voltmeter test show good ratings all the way to the start switch. The activation bar to the start switch lever is working. No contact at that point. Have not had the machine that long so I don't know if the start switch/starter is bad. The connectors show good voltage all the way to the starter switch - then nothing. Ideas. Thanks .. Ron ANSWER: hi ron from what you tell me sounds like the key switching assy is bad- is the fuse good ? use a test light with the clip end clipped to the neg battery terminal and touch the probe to the wire you want to check for live feed and is there any flow out of key switch ? while key is turned to start - check the red wire out of starter switch for voltage should be 12 volt d/c if none ......

I have followed the voltage all the way to the black/red wire on the last connector(the red wire slides on the lever of the starter). When I pull the last red wire off of the starter lever switch and test it with the black ground wire on the engine block, it shows voltage. When I re-connect the last red wire to the starter lever switch on the mower starter, there is no voltage. I put a new starter key switch (the one twords the mower handle with the key) - no change.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here