Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19753986

Comments Pro/Con on Toro 20371

User
11 years ago

Would greatly appreciate your comments (pro and con) on the Toro #20371 mower that I am thinking of getting to replace my old Weed Eater (Poulan) mower. I am thinking of picking one up at the local Home Depot (it's currently on sale). Would it be better to get it from a dealer? It has a Kohler engine, large rear wheels, and variable speed drive. Would it be better to get the next model up (Personal Pace, Briggs and Stratton engine, regular rear wheels)? Thanks for your opinions....

Comments (4)

• donb1183
    11 years ago

I always favor at least giving your local dealer a shot at your business. You will find compareable pricing with better service.

The Kohler is a Chinese-made engine and at 149cc might be a bit underpowered.

• BeeRadGee
    11 years ago

I would buy Home Depot's Toro 22 in. Personal Pace with Blade Stop System ( a Pro I.m.o when you let go of the bar the blade stops instead of killing the engine) Self-Propelled Mower Model # 20333 Internet # 100659636 Store SKU # 177160 I have 4 of these on my lawncare service. I paid roughly $400 apiece for them nearly a year ago. Very nice mowers I.M.O. As far as the large wheels go they really dont make a big difference on cutting.

• itzbinnice
    11 years ago

I have a Toro Personal Pace 6HP Briggs that I bought at Home Depot in May 1999. I paid 486.00 for it. Thirteen years later it still starts on the first pull. For the past 38 years when winterizing I always run the mower dry, and squirt some oil in the cylinder. The mower always stated on the 1st pull in the spring. With the Ethanol gas we are forced to buy I wouldn't recommend leaving fuel in there even with Stabil.

I love the personal pace feature even though it's a little resistance prone when pulling backwards. I do bag the clippings but the mower does not have great suction as with older Snappers. Other than changing the oil and the plug occasionally I have not had any problems at all. I can't comment on the newer models (much cheaper) and I'm not fond of buying Chinese made engines. To stay competitive seems like many of the manufacturers are now using the Chinese engines.

The next mower I get will be a Toro Super Recycler; this also has the Personal Pace feature but does a superior job in recycling. Much more expensive and not sold in big box stores, but I feel is a good investment. I'll go from bagging to recycling.
    My neighbor who always buys cheap is on his third mower in 8 years, so where is the savings, not to mention not having the tool when you need it.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I stopped at the Home Depot Saturday. They had a Toro 20331. Same as the 20371, except it has a more powerful Briggs and Stratton engine (190cc) instead of the 149cc Kohler engine and it was also on sale for $274 (same price for both models). They had one new in the sealed box. Will fire it up first thing in the morning. Any opinions on the Toro 20331 vs the 20371?

Here is a link that might be useful: Toro 20331