Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

any way to tell if oil was added to gas

andrelaplume2
12 years ago

I am freaking out a bit. My gut tells me I DID add the oil to my 1g container. I just got a weird feeling yesterday that I did not. I have been haphazardly trying to maintain my property while delaing with ill relatives. I serviced my equipment a few days back. This includes my Echo blower and weekwacker. I have to believe I put the oil in the gas but I am not sure. I am sure I have used each piece of equipment up to a half hour each since.

Is there a way to tell for sure if I added it? Would the equipment have have blown up by now if I did not? Should I empty the gas and start over...what do I do with the gas in the container.

Any ideas?

Comments (10)

• baymee
    12 years ago

Put the gas in your car. oil/gas mix always has a green or blue appearance. Make new stuff.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok...so long as it wont hurt the car that probably best....how long can one of those little 2cycle engines run on straight gas...I thought they'd blow pretty quick which is why I am pretty sure I must have added the oil...but why take a chance I guess...

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

#1. Look at it. The mix will have a darker shade than straight gas, and a different color. What color depends on what mix oil you used.
    #2. Put the oil in again. If the engines smoke more than usual, you added the oil the first time :).
    #3. Do what baymee said and start over. This is the sure way!

• baymee
    12 years ago

It doesn't take long at all to seize the piston. I've seen it happen on motorcycles in a matter of seconds.

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

It's complicated; how long before engine damage would depend on how much mixed fuel was onboard when straight gas is added, plus the mix ratio and the type of mix oil. For example, let's say you had 8 oz of mix in the tank consisting of a 50:1 mix with Opti-2. So you add another 8 oz of straight gas bringing the mix ratio to 100:1. The engine would run fine on this mix, because Opti-2 is designed to run at 100:1. Even a regular 50:1 oil has a little wiggle room on that mix. So, unless the trimmer or whatever was bone dry when you put in straight gas, you can probably get away with it one time. But consecutive times would fry the engine. So, the fact that the engines did not seize after 30 minutes does not mean that you put the oil in the gas; it may just mean you got away with 'straight-gassing' this time.
    If I had to bet, though, I'd bet you did put the oil in the can and your mix is good.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

The easy way to identify if you have leaned the end out over the 30 minutes is simple . Pull your plug and see if the colour has changed significantly . If you plug appears light tan then you may have not mixed your fuel as required. Medium to dark brown or black and nothing has probably occurred to be concerned over . As Sax has indicated residual oil within the remaining fuel may have indeed given you some wiggle room within the required mix ratio especially if your using premium grade or syn grade oil . I would think that your fuel colour as previously advised also should give you a quick visual indication of oil addition ? If you had done anything serious the engine performance would have given you indication within a few minutes that something was not as it should be !

• Mike72
    12 years ago

A quick and easy test is to put about a teaspoon on a old window or piece of window glass, tilt it around until it evaporates and check for oil film.

• roadbike
    12 years ago

I would not spend much time worrying about a gallon of gas. Just use it in your car. Buy a new gallon of gas, pour in the oil and leave a note with the oil can saying when it was added.

• orangedotfever
    12 years ago

Ditto on roadbike's post.