Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need to recharge battery 12v in cub cadet mower

Posted by speckspeck jersey (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 08 at 14:52

bought a cub cadet used, no battery charger with it but the website wants 28 bucks for a 12 volt charger...can i use the 4-way chargers they sell at radioshack , it has those round type fittings that look similar. I already have one but I just want to know if it is safe for the possible overload or something

Follow-Up Postings:

o
is sealed leadacid 2.3Ah about 8x2x2inch 12v

it is sealed leadacid 2.3Ah about 8x2x2inch 12v, battery pops out and is protected by a fuse marked 40auto ...Now I find the round connector on the radioshack RADIOCHARGER is too small to fit onto center pin,...my auto recharge battery has a slow charge feature for both 6 and 12 volt ....will that work? I would be protected by the fuse if i connected it on the upside of the fuse wouldn't I?

o
RE: I need to recharge battery 12v in cub cadet mower

What is an "auto recharge battery"?

You have to be somewhat cautious of the "battery eliminator" type devices.
Many of them "leak" a lot of AC voltage along with the DC component. If you have a volt meter, test the device on the AC scale and see if you have noticeable AC.

o
recharge battery 12v in cub cadet mower electric start

"sorry" should read "MY AUTO BATTERYCHARGER etc". As it was an ordinary transformer that put out 300mA 12v from radioshack had a 4way fitting for the 12volt socket that fit exactly, of the round type. I woke up the next morning and had a full charge on the battery and started the mower right up....worked fine but the transformer was rather hot...guess it will go on me sooner /later. A tricklecharge feature on the car's battercharger puts out 2 amps so I would guess that might be pushing it. This is the walk-behind electric start mower from cubcadet btw.

o

Do not use the car battery charger. The battery in your mower is a sealed lead acid battery.(AKA Gel Cell) Even 2 amps will overcharge it and very likely could explode it. No kidding. The correct charger probably has an auto- shutoff feature. That's why it's 28 bucks. Worth it to not blow up the battery.

o

I wouldn't want to even try, my method worked well without frying the wiring inside the battery which is very expensive to replace...btw...with no automatic shutoff you should use a plug in timer from your christmas lights like i did, set for 4 hours so nothing gets too hot. That applies to your car battery as well if you don't plan to sit there for 4 hours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here