Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wwwursa

toro handle height adjustment.

wwwursa
9 years ago

I have a torot recycle r power walk behind mower. I am 6 foot 77 years old and hurt my back. This mower always has been a pain in the neck to turn.

I have determined that the handle is so low that I have to be a contortionist to turn the mower 180 degrees. from what I can determine the handle height is not adjustable.

1. Anyone with a slick idea on how to make the handle height higher?

Comments (9)

• aj_allen
    9 years ago

What is the model & serial number?

• 1saxman
    9 years ago

Handles usually have a low and high setting, which is why they have hand knobs at the base of the handle instead of regular nuts. Look at the handle mounting plates and see if there is not a higher indexing slot than the one you're using. Just loosen both knobs, lift the handle and work it into the higher position, then tighten the knobs.
    There are other types; some just let the handle pull out to another stop and others have nuts and bolts to make the adjustment. Some can adjust the length and angle.
    I don't think I've seen even a low-end mower without a handle adjustment.

• Robin Workman Wagner
    3 years ago

We are combing the internet trying to solve this same issue. The highest handle setting has the handle laying across the top of my thighs. It’s incredibly uncomfortable. the Toro 22 does a great job cutting but the inability to adjust the handle height is for the birds. There are numerous forums with people voicing the same concern

• HU-274224303
    2 years ago

Thank you - same problem. adjustment settings are low and real low.

bringing mine back today.

• Tom Lorenz
    11 months ago

My daughter has same issue with handle on Toro Recycler J1920 being factory set too low. Hurts her back bending over to follow it. She is 5'10". Too low for me as well and no obvious adjustment. Maybe look at bending it up.

• Cal Rudsinski
    11 months ago

I took it to my Toro dealer, and the salesman said there's really NO ADJUSTMENT for the handle! He told me I could drill some new holes in the handle if I wanted to get it higher...but if I broke anything, they would NOT BE RESPONSIBLE!

Luckily, after I drilled the new holes and moved the handle up a bit, I no longer get a cramp in my neck and have to stop!

Poor design by Toro!

• Johann Johann
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

9 years later, and those of us who picked up a Toro Recycler used like myself thought that was the reason the guy was selling the mower. The handle bar comes to just above my knees. I thought it operator error, but thanks to this blog, I know it is a Toro manufacturing error. Seriously no excuse for Toro to have allowed what is obviously a design flaw to get thru production. What's worse, there should have been a recall to fix the handle bars of these mowers. Not like they were cheap to buy new. But how many years did Toro make this mower, and not even go and fix this defect? Once again proving to the world Honda is still the reigning champ when it comes to lawn mowers. And they don't even have lawns in Japan! C'mon Toro get your head out of thy butt! Thanks everybody. Time for some good old fashioned ingenuity, but alot less skill to fix the handle bars.. lol! By the way, maybe removing the Toro bars, and replacing the bars from another model or brand could also be the way to go. People put out old lawn mowers at the curb all the time, keep an eye out and it won't even cost ya any $$ chedder.

• roland guay
    10 months ago

Have the same problem, only 2 adjustments. The only way to get a little more height is to adjust the rear wheel height. I added about an inch to the handle height but the grass will be longer after mowing. I'm 6 ft tall, the handle comes to my belt line now.