Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wetstuff

Runs on full choke...

wetstuff
12 years ago

I read the post below about the fellow who replaced almost everything and was still getting a fuel starvation issue.. Me too.

Mine is a 6.5hp, B/S. I've had the carb off 4-5 times and the one thing that caught my eye was that the seat for the float bowl, needle valve appeared to be rubber... I blew air, carb cleaner, etc. thru it ..but it still look 'swollen'.

I found the finest drill in my inventory and reamed it. The bit removed a little material - I put it back together and it runs better -still at full choke- but I am unable to give it any air. Any thoughts?

Jim

The symbol for Ethanol should be the middle finger .. I now own about six cranky engines.

Comments (10)

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Ehanol kills many older engined units carb and seals . You most likely shall have to install a new carb kit complete with needles and seals . The new kits are Ethanol resistant.

• wetstuff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ewalk, Not yet! My little trick of reaming out the float seat seems to have worked perfectly. The engine is about 7yrs old with little time on it. The engine drives a tow-behind sprayer and the only downside is that I will have to run it dry every time because there is some leakage.

Besides, it's crazy to leave Ethanol in the system. I cannot believe (actually, I guess I can..) that a few senators from low population states can FORCE the rest of us to not only buy ethanol, they then write these few people a $6Bil subsidy/bonus to make sure they stay fat and happy.

Jim

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Well eventually the rubber seat and needle( on some models) will become brittle and break down from the ethanol fuel . Then you can spend , usually under $20.00 for the rebuild kit . I have not yet had to deal with the ethanol issues , have numerous hunting and fishing buddies from Michigan that have brought their trimmers and chainsaws to camp for me to work on . I have witnessed 1st hand the wonders of ethanol fuel from South of the Border lol :) .

• roadbike
    12 years ago

Instead of ranting about the inevitable why don't you swap out the seat?

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

I can only buy 10% ethanol. After yrs of carb rebuilds every spring, I happened on the way to deal with it. Install a fuel shut off and run the carb dry after every use. Add a cap full of MMO to the gas. Since I started doing this ,my carb troubles have all but ceased. To start my IH Cadet 80 this spring, all I did was to open the shutoff, put it on choke and push the starter button. The 3 yr old battery looks to have survived another winter too. Instead of fooling with carb, I mowed the lawn. The gas in the tank is 7 months old. Un-stabilized

• ewalk
    12 years ago

I agree 100% Andy if more American Small Engine owners would buy into using a fuel treatment of premium quality there certainly would be a lot less frustrated owners . Understanding the Nature of the Beast simplfies matters lol .

• lbpod
    12 years ago

Gentlemen, let us not forget that there
    are still a LOT of carb kits on the shelf
    that are older and are not ethanol resistant.
    So, if you order a kit, you might be getting
    the same as what you have, (unless the seller
    specifies otherwise).

• ewalk
    12 years ago

lbpod: If you use proper fuel treatment than ethanol will not damage any fuel system components . But I agree there are still rebuild kits (OEM) from pre-ethanol fuel that are not resistant to the alcohol attack .

• lbpod
    12 years ago

Ewalk, fuel treatment certainly 'helps', but only to a
    degree. Many have made the remark; "If I'm paying $4 per
    gallon for gas, why can't the oil companies put in the
    treatment?" Good question. I was just reading that
    the amount of ethanol will increase to 15% in 2012, and
    by 2015 it will be 20%. Lord save us all.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

20% less efficient also ! They could care less about small engine owners having problems with their product . Storing Gas is not in there best interest . Buy more every 2-3 weeks Dude lol . Sad but True !

Note: Star*tron advertises their Product to maintain ethanol fuel for up to 2 yrs without Phase Separation . Not that I'am about to store a few Gallons to test there Claims lol :)