Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmiller415

Tecumseh LEV120 Engine starts, sputters, dies

rmiller415
10 years ago

So, I have a Toro 22" Recycler mower with a Tecumseh LEV120 engine on it (362003A). When primed it starts with 1 pull. I took off the carburetor and cleaned it out, but nothing has changed.

The problems I see that might be the cause could be the fuel/air mixture (which I'm about to test once I get get an extra pair of hands) or the float bowl screw. As far as the second issue goes, I read somewhere that there are four holes on it. I can locate 3, all of which are clear of any debris, and the fourth I believe to be in the center of the top of the bolt. I'm not sure if this is where the fourth jet is, but if that's it, then it's blocked up good. I've soaked it in carb/jet cleaner solution for about an hour and I still can't clear it.

As far as the air/fuel mixture goes, the filter is old and dirty, I cleaned it out, and it gets air through it, but it's still pretty bad, though it starts up and runs just fine when I took it off and gave it a shot of carburetor cleaner through the air intake. If I keep shooting the cleaner in there then it revs up, so I'm thinking the problem is in the float bowl screw.

If anyone has any ideas about what I can do to get the fuel running through it, please let me know because I'm at a standstill on my yard work and about to be cited by the HOA for the front yard being too tall.

Comments (3)