Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old wheel horse 10hp riding mower

Posted by drkid (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 07 at 15:16

sorry just joined this site so a lil new to how it is. Well i can't pin point the age of this mower, all I can say is its from the 80's. It was my grandfathers thus its now mine >.<. I have many problems with this thing but those I can fix myself. The current problem that i am clueless about is why its running the way it does.

If its been sitting for a good time and I go out and start it, it runs fine, runs better when the blades are on. Now heres the nice fact, when you shut it off and turn it back on it runs like poo is all i can say. Like its got bad gas, poor spark, or not getting gas. But i've checked all that and it is. It'll run for a little while after that then die and have to wait a few hours before trying again.

If anyone has any idea it would be helpful, since I can't afford a new rider or even a push >.<

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old wheel horse 10hp riding mower

DrKid,

One that's been sitting for a long while....could be
carburetor related, mice could have eaten wiring insulation
etc, etc. You need to be MORE SPECIFIC of what we're
working with here. Briggs, Tecumseh, Kohler engine?? Could
be ANY of the three on an older Wheel Horse. Once we know
what we're working on....we can target where you should
look next.

T-Man

o

hmm kohler..but it hasn't sitting for awhile, cept for the winter of course. but figured it out. never believe someone when the oil level is fine. I decided to do a full through inspection of its components and found there was no oil in it >.< I actually listened to my mother for once and this is what I get. Ugh. I don't think that was the complete problem because it still runs poorly, not as bad now. It actually stayed running so I could mow, but it still putters and blows out some nice black smoke. If it was a car it would be so much easier for me to fix >.< Should I maybe pull the engine and clean it?

o

I agree with tekumcman sounds like a carb problem and if you are getting black smoke check your head gasket.

o

Blowing black smoke indicates it's running too rich.
Is the choke on?
If not, the needle/seat assembly in the carb is probably leaking.

o

i'll take a look at the carb. thanks =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here