Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Free stuff:

rustyj14
11 years ago

I picked up a nice round table and 4 chairs, for the side yard, or the deck, but wife doesn't want them. I had to move them to cut grass, so pulled them out into the side yard. A feller asked how much so i said $50/delivered local!

Before a decision was made, a feller delivered a darby looking gas grill, said his wife found a mouse in it--throw it away and buy a new one, for next winters' mousey's!

HHMUMPH!! Mice don't eat much, nor do they cook -oo! So now the price has gone up--afore ya know it--i'll be barbecuing for the local boys!

Life is so interesting, ain't it?!

Comments (8)

• homegrown55
    11 years ago

So true...and people are really something else aren't they?

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, i cleaned the grill and replaced the igniter. Just have to hook up a bottle, and it'll be good to go! Or to cook! Wife saw a warning about decks falling down. I went out on mine, jumped up and down on it--still standing. If put up right-they stay up!
    Previously, i raised that 8x12 wolmanised lumber deck up from the ground, and into place, by my self! And, all assembled, too, except the railing. And didn't break a sweat, and didn't use a hi-lift! About 6ft! Curious as to how i did it?

• lbpod
    11 years ago

That was when you were young and foolish.
    You're not young anymore.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, but---So far nobody has asked how i did it. Except my son did ask how much i paid a hi-lift operator to lift it. Of course, i finally had to let him in on my method!

• lbpod
    11 years ago

Okay, I'll bite:

How did you do that, Rusty?

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, after getting the holes in the ground dug, and a hard base put in them, I set to raising the deck.
    I set the deck over the holes with the concrete bases.
    To wit: I removed four deck floor 2x4's, and wrapped chains around each joist. I bought 4 12 ft. 6x6's, stuck each one down thru the deck, into the holes in the ground. Short cross pieces kept the up-rights in line. I had already drilled holes in the top ends of the Wolmanized 6x6's. Into those holes went 4 large heavy eye bolts. I had also drilled holes in the inside, next to the house sill, 2x12's, to bolt the deck to the house.
    I borrowed 3 cable come-alongs, and hung each one from an eye bolt. I already had one of my own. Then, after getting all of the cables tight, i carefully gave each come-along 2 clicks upward. I had the weight leaning towards the house, and in a short amount of time, i had it up to the lines, so i went under the deck and lag screwed the sill plate to the house sill plate, then screwed the posts to the deck joists. I cut off the 6x6's and reinstalled the floor boards
    I put all of the visible tools and parts away, just in time to see my son coming in to help raise it.
    Later on, i made the railing and installed it. That job was done 20 years ago, and it hasn't sagged a bit! And, son still doesn't know how i did it!

• lbpod
    11 years ago

Great story. You shoulda been a
    enganeer, Rusty J.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I couldn't understand that engineering class in high school, so i went to the college of hard knocks, and after my return from WW II, i got a job at the local Ford Dealers shop, and stuck with the auto trade until i retired! My Grand-fathers' built steam boats for the river trade, along with barges, and other water craft. I think they attended the same college that i went to. ;o)