Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canuck88

High end 21' mower recommendation

canuck88
11 years ago

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a high end 21" mower for my home. I only have about 0.25ac, but I appreciate fine equipment and want something that will last. I mulch 90-95% of the time (very sandy soil which needs all the nutrients it can get), and bag leaves and such the other 5-10%. I want something that won't bog down, and prefer to have features that most commercial mowers have (ie. ball bearing wheels).

Currently, I have a Lawn Boy Insight 10686 (6.5hp Tec), a John Deere 14SB (4.5hp FC150V), and an MTD Pro stainless (Honda GCV160). I would probably sell these 3 to help fund the new purchase, and my budget would be up to about $1,200.

So far from my research, I think my best options are probably:

Honda HRX (GCV190 engine)

Snapper commercial with additional Ninja mulching blade & either the GXV160 or FJ180 engine

Toro Proline commercial (used)

Toro Super Recycler (w/ the GCV160)

Restore my John Deere 14SB (new engine and BBC would be about $300)

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Comments (9)

• 1saxman
    11 years ago

You know what? The LB10686 is a very good machine. I have a 10684 and a LB 22271, which is the original LB version of the Toro commercial 22156 currently for sale. There's no doubt the 22156 is better, smoother and more enjoyable to use with it's Honda GSV190 OHC commercial engine and ball-bearing wheels. But, you would be selling a great back-up mower in the 10686, which is a tough customer. The Tecumseh is reliable and strong and if in good condition now will last for years. The Insight deck and rear discharge are basically the same as the 22156 except the commercial deck is aluminum. Ball-bearing wheels are great, but you're looking at a $1000 mower. Personally I like to keep two good mowers. Considering what you have now, I might be inclined to keep the 10686 and the best one of the other two, and spend what I needed to spend to get them in top shape. If plastic wheels are wobbly, replace them but always replace axle bolts at the same time. The back end of the 10686 requires a quick annual cleaning and greasing (spur gear/ratchet ass'y and wheel axles and gears).
    If you're dead set on a premium mower (and I can't fault that), I definitely recommend the Toro 22156 or the LB 22271 (no longer sold, but if you can find a nice one from a homeowner). I wouldn't buy any commercial or other class mower that had been used by a commercial business - they have a very hard life.
    With your sandy soil, you have to look at deck material and blade systems for rapid wear from sand blasting/erosion, but I guess you would know by now if you have that problem. I honestly could not speculate which material would be best, but the MTD with stainless steel deck seems like it would last. If you wear out blades fast, the Honda dual-blade system might get to be a problem.
    You can't beat the Toro/LB 'Variable-Speed' drive, or 'Personal Pace' if so equipped for reliability, light weight, easy repair and ease of use.
    Finally, I think your estimate of proceeds from selling your three mowers may be high as much as 60% or more. It's hard to get anything for a used mower. People tend to think they have been mistreated like they themselves treat mowers, so they don't trust them. And with good cause, most of the time.

• canuck88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Saxman, all good advice. The 10686 is in great shape (I inherited it 3 years ago as part of our house purchase), and honestly the 22271 would be my ideal mower if I could find one (not easy). I do like the sens-a-speed on the LB, but I also love the throttle control and 5 speeds of my John Deere 14SB. I know the tecumseh is a reliable engine (except it's having the coil replaced right now), but honestly it doesn't have the torque output I want - it bogs in thick mulching while the 150cc Kawasaki on the 14SB never seems to break a sweat.

I wasn't planning on getting much for the mowers - maybe $250 for the 10686, $200 for the 14SB, and $150 for the MTD (although I don't know if I could part with the 14SB)... and I wouldn't buy a used commercial machine unless it was in excellent condition....

• 1saxman
    11 years ago

Okay, there is a problem with the Tec195 - restricted fuel flow. That engine should not bog down under any reasonable conditions; it's a work horse. You'll have to tip it up with the carb high, remove the brass bolt from the bottom of the fuel bowl and clean it. Remove the paper from a small wire tie such as on a bread loaf wrapper and use the soft steel wire to rod out the tiny bleed near the end of the bolt. The other orifices in the bolt are larger and easy to clean.
    I misunderstood about selling the mowers - it reads like you were expecting to get $1200 for them.
    No, you're not likely to find a 22271; they only made a few in 2007. The Toro 22156 is definitely available though.
    It's odd that the Tec195 coil went bad - very unusual. In fact, it's the first one I've heard about on here.
    If the mower got hard to start it could be just the problem with the fuel.

• speedlever
    11 years ago

Checking in here with an interest as well. My old JD 14PZ (17 years old) is about to be retired. I'm considering the Honda HRX217HYA or the Toro 20383... both offer the blade brake feature, but the Toro does so for considerably less money... and both offer a non-steel deck, which I like.

Any reason to prefer one over the other?

• canuck88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Saxman - I'm just guessing it's the coil, as it suddenly wouldn't start (with fresh fuel) and it seemed like there was no spark when we looked....

• stinkytiger
    11 years ago

Hi,

I would recommend a Honda HRC216 HXA. This is a mower not on your list. The MSRP on the web site is $US 1,249. So just a bit over your budget by $US 50. I have one that I bought 5 years ago and it is still mowing like new.

Note this has a GXV160 engine from Honda's commercial engine line. This mower is not available at Home Depot or Lowes. I got mine from a Honda dealer.

The only down side is it is a bit heavy at about 125 lbs. But because it is very controlable and is powered by a Hydrodrive, I do not notice the weight that much if at all.

This is a commercial mower and alot or pros around us have them and use them in a buisness environment.

Best, Mike.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honda HRC216

• canuck88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike, but I"m in Canada - the HRC is about $1,360 up here. By comparison, the Toro 22156 light commercial is about $960, the eXmark X-series about $1,040, and I can even get a Toro 22198 for $1,120. The Honda is 20-30% more than those and that's a hefty premium...

• stinkytiger
    11 years ago

Ah got it. I saw $ and assumed $US rather than $ CAD. Whoops .....

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

HRX217HYA or if for $100 more you feel you need a key to start your Honda the HRX217HZA.

No doubt the HRC that was recommended above would last you longer than you would likely be able to cut the grass, its not necessary and weighs 20lb (roughly) more than the HRX and has the smaller, less powerful, but more fuel efficient engine.

I have a 5-6 year old HRX217HXA and I LOVE IT. The Hydro transmission is wonderful, the 190 mower starts first pull eery time with a limp wristed sissy pull, it cuts my grass so finely i cant see any leftovers from the mulching action, the blade brake control is great (allows you to let go of the handle but keep the engine running to move a branch, open a gate etc so you dont have to restart it every time you must let go of the handle) and since you appreciate fine equipment this would certainly fit into that category.