Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snapper6xs

No spark on snapper rear engine rider

snapper6xs
13 years ago

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have read quite a few of the posts here and really like the answers that are given they are all very helpful. I am having a problem with my snapper rear engine rider. It has no spark. So far here is what I have done:

replaced magneto

replaced spark plug

replaced safety switch for gear shifter

removed kill switch

and still, no spark.

The mower is an 11hp briggs and stratton from 1986. Here is the model/type/code info 253707 0206-01 86080711. The mower itself is a snapper 4111x6s.

I do know that there is at least a little power running through the spark plug wire because I get movement on my volt meter thingy (can't remember what it is called). But there is not enough spark to jump the gap of the plug.

I bought this mower used a couple weeks ago and it ran; the only issue it had was that it would cut about 2 strips of grass and die. I cleaned the carb, which was really gunked up and it ran much better only dying 2 times while I mowed my entire lawn. But now it will not start at all and will not produce spark. If anyone has any ideas of something I have not tried please let me know. It would be more than greatly appreciated.

Also if you need more info just ask and I'll try to provide it. This just really has me stumped.

Comments (8)

• walt2002
    13 years ago

You say you removed the kill switch, did you disconnect the kill wire AT the coil? Did you put the new coil on right? Kill Wire to the back/bottom?

There can't be only something very simple keeping it from having fire. to check spark, remove spark plug, stick philips screw driver in plug wire boot, grasp shank of screw driver in palm of hand and place a finger on a bright, bare spot on the engine, turn flywheel brisquely by hand past magnet.

Walt Conner

• snapper6xs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes I did disconnect the kill wire at the coil. The new coil is on correctly, it is labeled as to which side should point up. Reattached the kill wire to the coil and to the back/bottom.

I tried the screw driver thing the other day and expected to get a jolt but didn't.

• walt2002
    13 years ago

Coil AND flywheel are the only things involved in spark with a CDI. Are the coil mounting posts bright? IF so, bad coil or bad flywheel. Flywheel key has nothing to do with WHETHER there is spark.

Note, with CDI the magnet must pass the coil laminates at approx. 800 rpm.

Walt Conner

• snapper6xs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got tired of messing with it trying to get spark, put it all back together, and it started right up. I have no clue what was keeping it from running, but thank you for your help.

• dalehazelton
    13 years ago

Hi snapper6xs. Are you still running? I have a 1991 RER with an 11 hp Briggs Intek, also intermittent no-spark situation. I replaced the magneto (it always seemed to die just when it got hot) rebuilt the carb, pulled the head and cleaned carbon off cylinder and valves, and replaced the safety switch interlock thingy. I seemed good for two cuttings and POW, it dies on me yesterday. I pulled the red wire off the post with the magneto kill wire and nothing. Then I pulled the magneto kill wire and it fired right off. Can that terminal block that it connects to expand and cause a ground situation when the block is hot? If so, what's the fix?

• jeffrey2525
    13 years ago

i'm thinking you got a short in the wire somewhere.is what it sound or a bare spot on the wireing.

• walt2002
    13 years ago

"Can that terminal block that it connects to expand and cause a ground situation when the block is hot? "

Doubt that is the problem, sometimes the terminal gets gas/oil/crape on it and shorts but don't think it would act like that. Check the kill wire between the terminal and the coil, may have a place rubbed in the insulation where the wire goes under the cooling shroud.

Walt Conner

• jimdwest
    10 years ago

Thru this forum I discovered my Snapper SR 120 that would not start had a bad kill switch. If I disconnect it the mower will run. Can't shut it off even with full choke. Have to get off and re-attach the kill switch. Is the kill switch something that can be easily replaced ? I thought about just running a wire out of the engine shroud, but I figure it gets so hot in there that the insulation would melt off an ordinary wire ??