Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glensamm_gw

Lawn Boy 10323 No Spark, Cooking Recipe, Min Throttle Response

glensamm
14 years ago

Hi,

I decided to start a new thread (though maybe I shouldn't have) because if I'm reading things right, the last post on this topic is rather old.

A little background:

Yesterday, I bought a Lawnboy model 10323 Silver Series, 2003 model, at a garage sale for $10. The guy said it hadn't run since last season. He claimed he hadn't tried to start it this season, but I suspect maybe he had tried, and that's why he decided to sell it.

I got it home and it wouldn't start. That's usually a carburetor problem, but in this case, there was no spark. As per other threads, I removed the ignition coil pack thing, and cooked it in our toaster oven for a few hours. After reassembly, it started on the second pull.

One question I have is, for those of you who used the your CD ignition coil cooking recipe, how long did this repair last? (On previous threads, after trying it, most people did not post a follow-up weeks or months later.)

Also, my mower was surging VERY badly. So bad that it would speed up pretty fast and then slow down so much it would sometimes die. Removing the sticker on the carb and adjusting the low speed idle screw has helped a little, but I still don't have anything close to a steady hum with descent rpms.

Biggest problem I'm having is that there is very little throttle response - idle to full just doesn't make much difference, as the governor maintains a median speed (within the surging) that is pretty much independent of the throttle control on the handle.

I have tried turning the throttle while holding the governor vane, and I've moved it as much at 15 clicks either way, but the motor still doesn't max out very high, and the throttle doesn't have much effect. The cable is good, and it does move the plastic tab that holds one end of the governor spring.

I'm guessing the governor spring is too weak? Anybody else have this problem?

Also, this mower, being a 2 cycle, is plenty stinky and smelly. I don't yet understand why so many on this forum seem to love them....

Comments (15)

• kobra_karl
    14 years ago

It could be very well that the coil is still bad? I could not see where in your write up that you replacedt the spark plug? If you run a good syn oil like amsoil you can lean them down to 100 to 1 and the smoke is not noticible at all. I will try to help you narrow your problem down as i have alot of experience fixing this model.

• glensamm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is now August, and it has been very humid for the last few weeks. Today, a thousand pulls and no start. Pulled off the plug wire, and no spark. So I have answered my own question, at least in this instance. The cooked coil lasted about 4 months, and then it needs to go back into the toaster oven.

In other thoughts, the surging has diminished, but maybe I should change the spark plug? I haven't found that to be necessary very often.

Also, I do rather like the mower. I don't know the actual weight, but it does seem lighter, and thus easier to maneuver around, than most mowers.

I would still like to know from OTHERS of their coils lasted, after being cooked in an oven?

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

My cooked coils all failed. I don't do it anymore. Just replace it and be done with it. You mentioned that you adjusted the low speed under the sticker. That's a jet. You just loosened it. You better check to see if it's still there.

• tomplum
    14 years ago

Even after taking the handles off, the mower wouldn't fit in my oven...

• jrjewell
    14 years ago

Would you please email me at jrjewell@mesh.net and I will help you with your problems which can get lengthy.
    Thank jrj

• overkillphil
    14 years ago

Replace the coil as previously stated. I never had much luck wasting time baking old ones. Until something better comes out, we are stuck replacing the stock ones.

Regarding the surging, it is a common problem for the lean Duraforce carb but easily corrected.

Take that pilot jet out and make sure the tiny orifices are clean. Use some real thin wire, like a single piece of stranded wire. Then reinstall snug, not loose. I would pull the carb off (only takes a minute!) and remove the four screws on the bottom and pull off the float cover. The main jet has a cup screen on it which pulls right off. Clean the main jet with the strand of wire as well and blow it out with air. Reinstall cup screen, float cover and carb.

This should cure the surging. If you still have some surging, you can open them up a hair with a numbered drill set. This procedure has been discussed to death here as well as other sites. But if you get to that point and cannot find through search, repost and we will give you the add'l info.

• bogman
    14 years ago

Good one Tomplum.

• labubalic
    13 years ago

ok guys, this is taking baking to the exteme!
    I've got a lawnboy that wont fire, so-------
    i guess i'll try your recipe, of course no one has said what temp they are cooking at?
    if the bakite melts it will be my goose that will be cooked!

• labubalic
    13 years ago

I can't beleive it! I cooked that coil at 200 deg. for 2 hours---- second pull and the dang thing started

can anyone tell me what the gas/oil mixture is
    lawnboy silverpro modle 10323
    thanx to all you bakers and cooks

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

32:1 if using Lawn-Boy oil. That's one 8 oz can to 2 gal of fuel. Using the modern synthetics or synthetic blends, go 50:1, which is 5 oz in 2 gal of gas. Put the oil in first. Add 1 gallon and shake. Add the second gallon and shake. Then shake the gas can :)
    Seriously, shake the can before filling the mower too, every time.

• Gyrobob
    12 years ago

Hi,

I searched high and low on this forum, and could not find the original thread for cooking the coil on a 10323. I just bought one for cheap because it wouldn't start, but it looks to be in very good shape. When cleaned up it'll look nearly new.

I would just like to find out more about how to get to the coil, and then exactly what to do to "cook" it to get it producing a spark again.

My new toy has no spark at all.

Thanks for any info.

Gyrobob

• smittyman
    11 years ago

everything you here about baking the cdi coil is right!! i baked mine at 225 degrees for 45 min. set the air gap at 10 thousandths. put the carb and air box back on and mine fired off on the 1st pull. how long it lasts? ive heard hours . bout it. mines still running after 2 hours.

• smittyman
    11 years ago

on my lawn boy model 10323 ive got to get the surging to stop!! im seeing forums/info about drilling out the idle jet and pilot jet with certain# drill bits. or using briggs and stratton jets one size up from what you have stock. double gov spring installed i hear helps also. the gov thumb wheel clicker adjustments does not help the problem. aleady installed a new one with new gov spring. didnt chang nothing. any other ideas?? the carb is very very clean with no air leaks, and reed petals look good.

• 1saxman
    11 years ago

Does it surge while actually cutting grass? If not, don't worry about it.

• Mike72
    11 years ago

smittyman, to stop the surging you need to increase the jet size you've been reading about. Governor springs and adjustments will not stop it because surging is caused by fuel starvation, and it's not something you need to put up with.