Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jracmm

Toro 22' mower starts but then stalls. HELP!

jracmm
14 years ago

Ok guys, i hope someone will look at this. I have a 2005 Toro 22" Self-propelled Recycler mower (Model 20005) and I was horrible about proper storage and maintenance for 3 or 4 years. I just changed the oil, spark plug, air filter, and used gum-out on the carb and the thing will start but immediately stalls. I found that if I continue to push the primer it will keep running. But as soon as I stop priming it, it stalls. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!!!??? HELP!!!

Comments (9)

• ericwi
    14 years ago

Our Yardman did the same thing last week. The most likely cause is residue from gasoline that evaporated in the carb, over the winter. I was able to partially disassemble the carb, and clean it with spray solvent. I used LiquidWrench because that is what I had on hand. You can pick up a spray can of carb cleaner at an auto parts store. With the air cleaner off, you might be able to keep the engine going by spraying carb cleaner directly into the venturi, after starting the engine with the primer. Our mower is not quite right yet, but I was able to mow the lawn OK. I mixed some liquid carb cleaner with the gas, and I expect the carb to eventually get 100% clean, with use.

• baymee
    14 years ago

Most likely you'll have to remove the bowl nut, under the carb's bowl. You'll most likely find varnish in the jet, or maybe water. These are some typical jets, Tecumseh. Briggs, similar.

{{gwi:126850}}

{{gwi:126852}}

{{gwi:126851}}

• jracmm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Baymee,

You are the BOMB!!!! The first picture you included was mine. I had no idea that the "Jets" that I have seen people talking about in other posts are just holes in the Brass screw holding the bowl in place!!! I cleaned those with a bread tie wire and sprayed the hell out of it with carb cleaner and it runs like brand freaking new!!! I am so thankful for this website!!! I LOVE AL GORE for creating the Internet!!! Ha Ha!

• theroyal1
    14 years ago

I joined just to say thank you for asking and posting the answer to my issue.

But for those who don't know where to look for this on the 20005 TORO. It is underneath the Round part which is right in front of the paper air filter on the side.
    Be careful when you take it off though as gas can leak all over.
    Drain it and Tip it on it's side before removing the bowl nut.

When I took mine out I saw some gunk so I wiped it and blew into it....I will be cleaning it properly but just needed to get it working asap..

Thanx Again!!

• jw2par_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hey thank you guys a LOT!!!!!!!! Had my Mom's mower sitting up for years ! Clean the jets now it run good and strong . The three different post HELP out big time .

• jags_ten_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info cleaned the jets and runs. I will have to clean the carb to get it running at its best.

• mickdawg89
    11 years ago

Tip worked beautifully, saved alot of frustration and money for a new mower

• bluesrocker22
    9 years ago

All,
    I thought my carb was shot, so I replaced it. Still, start but no run (and had to use starting fluid). THEN!!! I noticed the spring to the "rev limiter" (just below and towards rear of carb) was not "tight". The stupid bracket that holds the end of that spring had been bent down ~1/16" and that caused all this heartache. CHECK YOUR REV LIMITER!!!

• ebeg420
    8 years ago

I realize this is an old post, but I ran into the same issues, so far, I have:
    -New Sparkplug
    -New Air Filter
    -Cleaned Carb Jet
    -Good Gas

I did all of the above and now I seen gas & oil in the new air filter, not sure if I did that by the way I tipped the lawnmower over looking underneath but to be safe, I took the whole thing apart and pulled the head gasket out, it doesn't look cracked but possibly worn..... we will see, I am trying to find one tomorrow and replace. Once I do that along with NEW Oil, the only other thing I can imagine it is, would be the throttle? I am a rookie when it comes to lawnmowers, I used YouTube for all of the above items.