Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hint for 2006 Intek OHV not starting when hot

Posted by kenmc5 USDA 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 12, 13 at 16:32

I just want to pass along a helpful hint I received from my local Snapper repair shop. I have a 2006 Snapper HiVac with a BS Intek 6.75. When I purchased the mower the previous owner stated it would not start when hot which is what I experienced the first year. I heard this was typical and bought the mower anyway for fall leaf mulching (BTW with gator blade is great). Always stated first or second pull when cold and runs great.

I really like the mower so I called my local dealer to see if there was possibly an engine swap or to purchase a new commercial model. He stated he had fixed this problem several times with a new spark plug model RC12YC gapped at 25-28 vs. 30-32. I purchased this plug It was gapped at 32 out of the box. I reduced the gap to 26. Used today for the first time and it started first pull when hot several times. Thought I would pass this hint along.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hint for 2006 Intek OHV not starting when hot

If reducing the gap "solved" the problem, it means the coil was getting weak when hot.

o
RE: Hint for 2006 Intek OHV not starting when hot

Your logic on this Bill is good, except that some 12" Inteks are just not plain logical! I've been around the barrel on twio of these that were never rectified. .025" plug gap, .020" plug gap, e plug, reset valve lash, replaced the coil, verify throttle wasn't closing , sweared at , check flywheel key, sweared at again..... These are such great engines and I am very happy for the OP that the short gap fixed him up. But then a stubborn one appears!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here