Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Lawn mower keeps dying

Posted by eggplanto MO (My Page) on
Mon, May 4, 09 at 16:51

I've got a self-propelled Yard-Man mower that will only run for a short period of time before it dies. When I first start using it, it runs for about 2 minutes then it dies. I have to wait about 5 minutes before trying to restart it, or it won't restart. After about 1-2 hours of using the mower, it will only run about 1 minute before it dies. Any idea what could be causing this problem? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Lawn mower keeps dying

Vent hole in gas cap plugged, water, crap in the carb float bowl.

Probably fuel starvation, but could be not enough valve clearance.

Walt Conner

RE: Lawn mower keeps dying

i curious to know how you ever get to mow for 1-2 hours with it dying every 2 minutes, progressively worsening to just 1 minute of run time, while having to wait 5 minutes before it re-starting.

quick math says that, at 2 minutes run time to 5 minutes down time, you actually have a running mower appx. 16 minutes out of every hour.

are you serious?

now your mower - is this the first time running it this season? how did it do last season? did you store it properly? does it die like it's running out of gas or like someone turned a key-off? have you tried running it without the gas cap (diagnostically)?

here's the deal. you have 5 minutes of down time where it apparently doesn't start. this is your diagnostic window. 95% chance it's spark or fuel. 5% chance it's mechanical. if your plug has spark during this down time, then it's fuel related. get you some spray carb cleaner and mist it in the carb during the no start period and see if that gets you going. if it does, there you are. pull the carb off and clean it internally if thats the case.

* a note on checking spark - a spark checker is awesome for this. cheap tool, one end has a tip like a spark plug. you put that in the plug wire. the other has a spring-loaded clip that you attach to your spark plug or any available ground. the spark gap is also adjustable.

RE: Lawn mower keeps dying

Yes, I only get about 16 minutes of run time an hour so it took me over 2 hours to cut the front lawn the other day. Not fun. It was doing the same thing last year, but not quite as bad. I'm not sure about "storing it properly"- so the answer is probably "no". I ran out all of the gas and left it in the garage for 5 months.

Thanks for all of the tips above- I'll work on the mower this weekend.

RE: Lawn mower keeps dying

I would have to go with the fuel cap vent plugged. Funny I was just explaining to a family down the street with 5+ mowers that are experiencing the same issues. Some may have other problems but for the most part the cap would fix at least 3.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here