Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Motor starts easy but only runs about a minute

Posted by wibbykdx (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 17:01

I have a craftsman mower with a 6.75 eager 1 engine

Been a great mower for 11 years. Always starts in the spring no problem, except this winter...

So I took the carb apart and found a jet or something was clogged. I cleaned it all up and she started right up, but only to die after about a minute. So I took it all apart and cleaned it again, and with the same results

I finally noticed that if I push the primer bulb a few times as the motor is sputtering that it will rev back up.

It will continue like this for a few minutes and then I can usually go ahead and mow my grass without it stalling, but the motor is only running at about 90% of what it should be

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Motor starts easy but only runs about a minute

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 8, 10 at 12:32

One possible cause of your problem is varnish in the carburetor, hidden where it can't be seen. If you add some gum-out or similar additive to the gasoline, the carb should clean itself out, but not immediately. It can take one to four hours of operation for carb cleaner to successfully remove the varnish deposit.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 9, 10 at 6:50

Mechanically, the symptoms don't make sense.

o

Might be a plugged breather hole in the gas cap! Or, the little hole in the bolt that holds the carb bowl on, if so equipped!

o

MAIN METERING CLOGGED BY PUSHING PRIMER THAT PUSHES FUEL UP TO THE THROAT OF THE CARB. RICK

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 10, 10 at 6:13

If it was a clogged jet, still unclogged, priming it all day would never make it run semi-normal on its own.

This sounds more like a choke issue, but there is no choke.

If it were any other fuel starvation issue, it wouldn't be coaxed to run by priming it.

So, I'm thinking of some air/fuel problem orleak that is almost overcome after the engine warms up or is able to maintain full speed on its own after warming up.

o

It's that stupid bulb primer!
I have the same problem, rough to get it started and then once it's warmed up, it's ok.

I tear it apart and can get one or two starts out of it before it clogs up with grass again and no amount of pushing that stupid bulb will get it to start.
I have to turn it on it's side, remove the air filter and dump fuel down it's throat, then it starts right up for about 30 seconds!
2 or 3 times and it will remain running!

Also that tiny little air filter clogs up REAL FAST and will cause running issues like loss of power at all times!

I'm still looking for an older manual choke carb to fit to that engine!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here