Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Briggs & Stratton (Mower Dies After 10 Minutes)

Posted by gman318 none (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 17:05

Hello,

I had a surging problem (engine reving up and down) with my Craftsman 550 Series 4 Cycle Engine (Engine 10T802-123B-B1) Model Number 917.385127. I changed the diaphragm and everything was working fine. After 10 minutes, all of a sudden the mower stopped running.

I looked on the side of the motor and the primer button had sucked in. I waited a couple of seconds and the primer pucked back out on its on. I just pulled the string (without priming it) and the mower started right up after the first pull. After a couple of more minutes, the mower stopped running again.

I checked on the side of the mower again to see if the primer was sucked it but it didn't do it this time. I pulled the string to start it but it wouldn't start. I pushed the primer button to feed it some gas. I pull the string and it started right up. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Briggs & Stratton (Mower Dies After 10 Minutes)

I guess its a 'Pulsa-Jet' with the gas tank on the bottom of the carb? Sounds like you did something wrong on the diaphragm installation, or perhaps there is a blockage in the pick-up tube. You really have to keep the gas tanks clean on these.

o

Gas cap vent?

Walt Conner

o

Sounds like the gas cap vent may be blocked and a vacuum builds up in the tank as fuel is withdrawn.
Try loosening the cap for a moment and see if the problem goes away for x minutes.
Repeat.
IF it's the vent, it'll probably run a "bit" longer each time as the air space in the tank increases.

o

Yes it is the Pulsa jet with the gas tank on top of the carb. I checked the gas cap vent and it was clear. I was thinking it may be the pickup tube and/ or the jet with the mesh covering over it.

I notice there was gas coming from the carb. I checked the connection to the manifold, gasket / diaphragm, etc. and didn't see anything. On the carb I see the gas was coming from behind a small round black ball. I believe the dip to is connected to it under the carb.

o

The ball seals the check valve inside. New carbs are cheap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here