Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ron_duca

Mower Wheel Tracks

ron_duca
14 years ago

I currently have a Toro Electric Start, Self-Propelled mower that's about eight years old. From the first time I used this mower, I noticed that the wheel tracks left on the lawn after I mow are quite noticeable. They are definitely more noticable that those of my neighbor's, who uses a Honda mower.

I have a bermuda lawn and I mow it at 1-1/4", which is the lowest setting on this mower. I do not run the wheels in the same tracks on each pass either.

Can anyone tell me what the best mowers are for not leaving wheel tracks?

Comments (11)

• hippy
    14 years ago

"I mow it at 1-1/4""

You mowing a gym floor? That is your first problem. You are cutting the grass to short. When I see a yard cut that low all I see is dead grass when the weather is hot and dry and a mud hole to walk through when it is wet.

The wheels roll over the grass and knocks it down. Cutting so close the grass can not recover and stand back up like it should.

• roadbike
    14 years ago

The best mower for not leaving wheel tracks would be one of the new un-wheeled models. Yes, the Spock Enterprises Mag Lev mower is guaranteed to never leave those ghastly wheel tracks because it never touches the grass. Installation couldn't be simpler. Once you have ditched and buried the 5 inch copper track in your lawn all that is left is to install your own high voltage generating plant.

Alternatively you might want to consider the variables that could influence wheel track visibility. For instance your neighbor may have different grass and may mow it on a different schedule and cut to a different height. Your mower may be a lot heavier than the one your neighbor is using. You might also want to consider cross mowing. And for the truly OC among us, a rear-mounted smoothing roller can be installed.

• ron_duca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Until last year, I mowed my grass at 2-3/8". The grass was tall and stringy, and the wheel tracks were even more noticeable. I did some extensive research and found that the recommended mowing height for Bermuda is 1/2" to 2", depending on the type of Bermuda. So, last year I lowered my mower to its lowest setting, 1-1/4". My lawn is now thick and dense, and looks more carpet-like, the way it's suppose to. I water infrequently and deep, and have not had any problems with dead or dry grass. The only draw back to keeping the grass shorter is having to mow more often. But it's worth it to me because it looks so much better.

My mower is electric start and the battery definitely makes it heavier. I'll read some reviews on various mowers and see what I can find. Thanks for the information.

• metal
    14 years ago

If you know your neighbors, ask them if you could try their mower on your lawn to see if it makes a difference (that would remove one variable). See what height they have their mowers set at (variable two). If you don't know them well enough to ask, move to a friendlier neighborhood ; ) Believe it or not, some people actually go out of their way to put lines in their lawns and buy certain brands (Simplicity for one) just because they make stripes all over their lawns. One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess.

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

Many years ago, we had the "Flymo" wheel-less lawn mower! The spinning of the blade held the mowewr at the correct cutting height, and you could just fly it along, mowing merrily and leaving no wheel tracks, as it had no wheels!

• metal
    14 years ago

Here is one by Eastman:
    http://www.hovermower.com/hovermower.htm

Here is one by Flymo:
    http://www.flymo.com/node2417.aspx?nid=16702

There are others out there as well. Never have used one but would like to to see how well they work.

• Cameron07
    11 years ago

I have Toro and have the same problem. I know it's a long shot, but was wondering if you ever received an explanation to the issue? Thanks

• 1saxman
    11 years ago

I don't know, but although I'm in the Fescue zone, I have let my yard go to Bermuda. I cut it at 3" and it does seem to show the wheel lines more/longer than Fescue. I think its just the Bermuda. Any lawn mower that runs on wheels is going to do the same thing.

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Buy a herd of goats, and turn them loose!

• ron_duca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've never received a convincing explanation for this. I have since switched to a Honda mower though and the wheel tracks or not nearly as noticeable.

• vandtbear1
    11 years ago

rustyj14, heard of goats.. love it..

ron duca, you mention that your mower is 8yrs old. Have you tried changing the blade? The wings at each end of the blade wear off over time. These help to pull the grass up as the blade cuts the grass. Also clean the bottom of the mower deck thoroughly. A new blade & clean deck will make you think you just bought a new mower.