Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sialorclg5

Toro 22' 6.5hp wont start

sialorclg5
14 years ago

Just got a used 2006 Toro 22' 6.5hp personal pace rear drive mower. Put new gas in it, primed it as per instructions and nothing. Sprayed carb cleaner directly into carb and just plain dead. Not even a pop. Info says it's a tecumseh 195cc engine family Y-2TPXS.1951 BC. Any help where to begin? Thanks

Comments (5)

• tomplum
    14 years ago

Well, those 22 foot Toros were buggers to start.... couldn't resist :) Anyways, does it seem to have compression as you crank it? ARe there any signs of the blade striking something? Does the safety bail seem to be undamaged and have tension on it?

• baymee
    14 years ago

Did you replace the spark plug?

• pats1
    14 years ago

I just bought a toro 22" at home depot. I primarily mulch. It did not do a good job. the grass was slightly wet and built up under the mower and caused the blades to bog down and choke out the enging. Lifting the front wheels to let out all the accumulated grass does not work. I had to turn off the mower at least 5 times, because the grass would not fall out until the blade stopped turning. One time it did not start because I tipped it on it's side to see what was bogging it down. I should have tipped it on the other side because the gas cap is not secure. It leaked (poured would be a better word) out and some got on the filter. Although I did not know it at the time. I pulled and pulled and pulled the cord. I finally figured out the filter was soaked with gas. I took the filter off and it started beautifully. So long story short, it might be the filter. Remove it and then try to start it.

I only mulch and this mower sucks at it, so I brought it back and got my money back. Watch out for the restocking fee at Home Depot. Any one know of a good mulching self propelled mower?

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

WOW. I have a 10 year old PP and it mulches GREAT! Was your grass soaked? I have used mine in misty rain...still mulched. Maybe your grass was just too tall...?

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

'I just bought a toro 22" at home depot. I primarily mulch. It did not do a good job. the grass was slightly wet and built up under the mower and caused the blades to bog down and choke out the enging. Lifting the front wheels to let out all the accumulated grass does not work. I had to turn off the mower at least 5 times, because the grass would not fall out until the blade stopped turning. One time it did not start because I tipped it on it's side to see what was bogging it down. I should have tipped it on the other side because the gas cap is not secure. It leaked (poured would be a better word) out and some got on the filter. Although I did not know it at the time. I pulled and pulled and pulled the cord.'

This is why I support the Democrats' ban on assault mowers and licensing/training of all owners with a background check before purchase.