Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toro 22" grinding

Posted by dheming1996 (My Page) on
Sun, May 12, 13 at 18:53

My Toro 22" self propel started making a grinding noise today. After seeing a youtube video, I looked at the self propel cable, and it had a lot of slack at the top. So, I loosened the bolt holding the self propel cable. The video said to tighten up the slack, but when I did this, the grinding GOT WORSE. However, when I LOOSENED the slack even more, the grinding stopped....but so did the self-propel function. I cannot find a happy medium in the cable. Tight cable means self propelling, but the grinding is loud. Loose cable means self propel stops working, but the grinding stops. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toro 22" grinding

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 12, 13 at 19:49

Most gear cases like yours use spider gears. When they develop a gap where the gears on longer mesh correctly, they start to grind the tops of the gear teeth off. Shimming them will bring the teeth back together and restore the operation. It's easy to do with some shim washers.

You have to remove the pulley and open up the case from the bottom.

That is most likely what's happening to you.

Try lifting the wheels off the ground and see if it's quiet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here