Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
actionclaw

Seeking help troubleshooting. Suddenly no start after running fin

Lawn Mower: Cooper CYCLO-VAC 21", Series A

Engine: Briggs & Stratton 3.5 HP
Model: #92988 Type: 0924-01 Code: 73050802

Was running fine. Would start after only a few pulls and run strong

When I brought it out this Spring it still had old gas in the tank (no stabilizer had been added).
I had no new gas on hand so gave it a shot and, with only a little difficulty, I got it running and mowed the lawn.
Since it seemed to run alright on the old gas in the tank, when it ran low, I figured the old gas in the old gas can would serve. I topped it off, it started, ran, seemed OK and I mowed some more.

At some point I had to shut it off (to empty bag, move location,etc. I can't say with certainty but I don't recall having it shut off itself due to hitting something.

Whatever the case, when I tried again, I was unable to restart it.
Tried in all possible combinations (choked, not choked, slow, fast..) but no go
Tried starting fluid -- nothing
Considered flooding, waited a while, then tried again -- nothing
Pulled plug, pulled starter several times, let it set a bit, reassembled, tried again -- nothing.

Put away a few days (to a week) then started playing again yesterday.

Filled tank with fresh gas. Tried to start as usual but only get...

Putt . . . . . . Putt Putt . . . . . . . . Putt . . . . Putt . . . . . . . .

...like it's trying to ignite but not quite making it.

Putting gas in carb, spraying starting fluid into carb or spraying starting fluid directly into cylinder (sparkplug hole) changes nothing

It is definitely getting spark. I have felt it and can see it.
Just for the heck of it, I also tried a brand-spanking new plug but same thing...

Putt Putt . . . . . . . . Putt . . .Putt . . . . . . Putt . . . Putt . . . . .

I'm no small engine repair wizard but I know many of you are.
If it has spark and has fuel all that's left is compression or timing. Is that not correct?

I've got a couple hunches. At least one will be wrong and, possibly, one of them correct. Before I waste a lot of time and effort following the wrong lead, I'd appreciate if one of you can confirm, correct, or put me on the right track.

I'm guessing many might suggest to clean carb, jets, float, etc.---which I'm sure it can use and I'll be happy to do---but from a troubleshooting standpoint, since I've sprayed starting fluid directly into sparkplug hole and found no change, isn't this unlikely to be the cause of the problem?

The only thing I know of that would make it so suddenly go from functioning to its current state would a sheared flywheel key.
I don't recall hitting anything but it is possible; I sometimes tend to expect a lot from mowers. Is this the type of behavior an engine with a sheared key would exhibit?

I noticed that the oil was low. I didn't change it at this point but did top it off. Could low oil alone cause lack of compression?
I assume wear caused by insufficient oil would cause lack of compression but would think this would manifest itself as a gradual loss of power, not something that would happen so suddenly?

I don't have a compression checker but tried a simple test I read about. I manually rotated the crankshaft in the direction opposite from normal expecting that, at some point, there would be resistance or a "rebound". I was able to easily rotate it meeting little to no resistance.
Is this a valid test?
Does this mean I have no compression?
If so, what would cause this, especially so suddenly?

If both my hunches are wrong, I look forward to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments (6)

• 1saxman
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You should have drained the tank, changed the oil, cleaned/oiled the foam filter and checked all fasteners, including the head bolts and engine mounts, then fuel it with fresh gas with some Sta-Bil and a little Marvel Mystery Oil in it. Still, you actually got away with it, I think. I suspect the exhaust valve is not closing enough. There could be some crud on it that broke off in the run, or a broken spring. Sometimes the valve stem just sticks from bad fuel. I would definitely look at the flywheel/key situation first, then pick up a head gasket and remove the head. Turn the crank and see if either of the valves doesn't close. I fixed one a long time ago when the valves stuck by putting a fuel system cleaner in the gas and shooting it toward the valves from the spark plug hole. Over a few days I would repeat the process, pulling it through for a few times. I could feel the compression coming back and then it started. I got it warmed up and changed the oil, adding some MMO to the oil. Did I mention how MMO keeps mowers running clean? :)
    Since it won't run on gas or starter fluid, I'm thinking it is not a carb problem. Assuming it's a 'Pulsa-Jet' type, the carb is very simple but has one part that goes bad - the diaphragm fuel pump located under the carb flange at the base of the carb where it is bolted to the gas tank. But again, if it were bad the engine would still run on starter fluid or gas.
    One more, and a quick check - put a wrench (ratchet/socket) on the head bolts to see if they are loose - this usually causes the head gasket to burn out. Even if they are not loose, the gasket could be leaking. Get somebody to pull it through slowly to see if you can hear a compression leak,

• Greg Goyeneche
    9 years ago

I agree with you, and most of what the previous poster has said. You probably have one of two problems or both.

1) Your engine has a "Pulsa Jet" carburetor, which uses a diaphragm pump to lift fuel to a constant level well, and from that point carburetor acts as a suction type. In addition to bad diaphragm, either of the plastic fuel pick up tubes could be clogged, plus the main jet and passages behind the jet could also be clogged. I'd start by disassembling carb, soaking or replacing fuel pipes and jets, and definitely replacing diaphragm. Upon assembly, initial main jet setting is 1 1/2 turns.

2) Ignition is the next thing I'd look at. Your engine is old enough to have breaker points and condenser under the flywheel. Remove starter clutch, being careful not to damage flywheel fins or the clutch body. Check to see whether flywheel key is partially or completely sheared. While flywheel is off, remove cover and check points. As you rotate crankshaft, points should open and close, with maximum opening being .020. Make sure points are bright and clean, using an automotive point file, and adjust loosening condenser clamp and retighten. Rotate several more times to check point gap.

I'd strongly recommend you consider replacing the existing coil with either a Briggs Magnetron coil (398593 $40 OEM or $25 aftermarket), or purchasing the conversion module (394970 $15 - $20). Upgrading to Magnetron is quicker and easier as you don't fool around with the points, and the new coils are almost bullet proof.

Suggest you go to Briggs site and pull down an illustrated parts list for your engine. Enter your engine numbers as 092988-0924-99. Briggs wants six digits in the first sequence, and won't resolve "01" in the third. Use "99" as a dummy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Briggs Manuals

• 1saxman
    9 years ago

Points? Ye gods. I don't even have tools for points anymore. That mower has to be 30 years old!

• Greg Goyeneche
    9 years ago

The engine is 40 years old. Note the Briggs numbers the original poster showed: Code 73050802.

Briggs didn't do to Magnetron until 1983 or 1984.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

The mower could be any age, but the engine is 41 years and 8 days.

• 1saxman
    9 years ago

Amazing! Its really hard to keep one going that long.