Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
elecric start will not start

Posted by buster100 5IN (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 11 at 19:42

I have a gravely riding mower model 927062. I was cutting grass and engine just died, no spurting so I figure electrical problem. Mower 25amp fuse for start circuit opened and replaced with good fuse. Will not turn over when switching key to start.

I hear start relay click when key to start. The start solenoid has 12vdc on one side then key to start, power does not go to other other terminal going to starter. So this would mean Solenoid is bad? Correct?

I want to verify or get thoughts, I do not think this would cause mower to just die.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: elecric start will not start

I wonder if you don't have a dead short somewhere.

When you say the dead fuse was replaced with a good one, was that a new fuse? Or did you check it if it's used?

o

Well you need to do some more checking yourself. Can you turn the engine by hand - engine not seized? Have you tried jumping from battery directly to the starter? Are you sure the clicking you hear is not the "Interlock" rather than the starter solenoid?

You DID turn the PTO off before trying to start?

Engine model number is always helpful.

Walt Conner

o

How old is the battery? Any battery more than 3-4 years old is usually not capable of starting the engine! Yeah, i know--some of you have used the same battery for 5-7 years, by putting an aspirin tablet in each hole, or closing yer eyes, putting a silver dollar in each hand, and jumping off the barn roof!
In my experience-the most i ever got from a battery was 3 years, or less.
Better check that battery. Is it the kind that might need distilled water every now and then. A lot of people neglect that important fact. Pry off the caps and look in the holes. If you can see water covering the tops of the plates, it is ok. If you can see the tops of the plates, get some distilled water, and yer wife's turkey baster, and insert some water into each hole, until it is slightly below the bottom of the threads. NOTE: Do not use City water! Use distilled water, or rain water in a pinch.

o

IMPORTANT INFO: - buster, you've got walt2002 willing to help and asking for a little more information. Respond to him. He's one of the best on this forum!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here