Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olddaddy_gw

Need Craftsman mower grass bag

olddaddy
16 years ago

I have a very old, but really good condition Craftsman Eager 1 22" self-propelled mower. It originally had a plastic grass catcher, but now has none. I need one and Sears charges $145 plus shipping. There must be a cheaper way to keep my old mower going. Does anyone know of another grass catcher that would fit, or where I could get one for this mower other than sears?

Comments (28)

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Really old isn't very helpful.
    Post the numbers off the mower. It should be something like 917.xxxxx
    I still don't think you'll have any luck, but you have to give us a chance.

• xlindax
    16 years ago

I just checked out the replacement grass bag for my Craftsman lawn mower and it is $46.84. $145 sure does sound high. As the previous poster suggested, give us your model number.

• jdeaux
    16 years ago

I used to have one long ago with the "hard" plastic rear bagger. Assume your talking same thing. I would imagine they are more expensive that a fabric bag. I have occasionally seen these listed on ebay...good luck

• rustyj14
    16 years ago

I have at least one of the hard, grass catchers here, maybe 2!
    I'd send one if the numbers are right, and if you'd pay for the shipping! No cost other than that. I think the mowers have gone to "The lawn in the sky"!
    Rustyj14

• btm71
    16 years ago

I am also looking for a grass catcher for my old Craftsman Eager-1 lawn mower (4.0HP, 22in) model#917 372285.

Does Rustyj14 in the last post still have an extra one that he is willing to part with? Thanks for any other leads.

• xlindax
    16 years ago

The grass bag for model # 917.372285 is available at Sears Parts for $51.90 plus shipping. In the diagram it appears to be a grass bag.

• xlindax
    16 years ago

Correction: Of course it is a grass bag; I meant to say it appears to be a fabric bag.

• wileyg
    16 years ago

I have a similar problem ... the grass-catcher bag for my Craftsman Eager 1 mower (model #917376290) is so worn out that it is dangerous to use (not to mention the annoyance of getting a facefull of clippings from time to time) ... the bag itself is a Lift-Top 2.4 bushel Dust-Less model ... any idea where I can get a replacement bag (the mower runs great, just need a new bag)?

• xlindax
    16 years ago

The 917.376290 bag is available at Sears Parts for $72.71. If you need the metal frame also, it comes in 2 pieces; one section is 21.22, and the other is 9.88.

• wburnsff
    16 years ago

There are three Plastic Craftsman grass catchers listed for sale in Little Falls NJ on the North Jersey Craigslist- go to craigslist for New Jersey and pick out North Jersey the posting is on September 18th in the Farm & Garden catagory. The seller wants $10.00 each for the Grass catchers. He has pictures of them on craigslist. Good Luck!

• gmiller9240
    14 years ago

I have a new Sears Craftsmen Grass Catcher Replacement Bag still in it's original packaging and never opened, new /old stock. Part number 80468. Printing on the bag itself says "Sears Craftsmen Cut N Catch 80468". $60. plus shipping if anyone is interested. Greg Miller 386-523-6615

• hmc
    13 years ago

I am also in need of a replacement grass bag and frame for model#917377061. Sears parts direct sells them for $45 & $30 plus $14 shipping. Does anyone know of a cheaper place to buy these items or a replacemnt for the Sears part?

• PGN421
    12 years ago

I just acquired aEager1, hibachi 4.0 20 inch, I need a bag with the supports.anyone know where I can get a bag?

• PGN421
    12 years ago

Typo in above message, Eager 1 , hivac, 4.0

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

My suggestion is to put a WTB ad on Craigslist. I hit the jackpot and got a free bag for my MTD push mower.

Also might want to check at local small engine fix-it shops (won't be free, but will probably be fair price).

• stinger8
    10 years ago

I am also looking for an Eager-1 Serial # 08141060234 lawn mower bag. The Model number of this one is 131.907741. Sears no longer sells them for this mower, does anyone know who might carry a bag that would fit? Fabric would be fine but original was probably plastic. Thanks to anyone that can give me some assistance with this.

This post was edited by stinger8 on Sat, May 25, 13 at 13:18

• Greg Goyeneche
    10 years ago

You are not going anywhere without the Sears model number. Serial number doesn't help. If you're serious, see Bill Kapaun's post at the top and list the 917.XXXXXX number.

• cschoer
    9 years ago

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor Model 917.287360; I need the attachment that connects to the mower deck with the little bungy cords on each side. I guess my tractor is too old because I can't find it on the sears site. Any help?

• tomplum
    9 years ago

I see your tractor on the Sears site. The part in question is the bagger boot piece that attaches to the deck? You would want to find the bagger number to be sure if that is the case. It will be on a similar tag on the frame. If you can't find that number, post again and I'll dig deeper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears

• jaschafe
    7 years ago

I have an Eager-1 5hp 22inch cut Mod.#917 386152 and am looking for a bag

• Bill Sellers
    7 years ago

I was given a 917.375610 craftsman lawnmower. In order to use it i need the side catcher bag and assembly (71-33072) they no longer make them. If anyone knows where I can get one or has one let me know. I hate to just toss the whole mower because I can't find a bag.

• 300ft_anin
    7 years ago

hi bill, l can only suggest looking on craiglist, even then given it's age the bag may not be in the best of shape.

• Bill Sellers
    7 years ago

Thanks...been doing that with no luck so far.

• tn_gardening
    7 years ago

I'm scratching my head as to why the mower is unusable without the catcher bag and assembly? Outside of fabricating something, maybe a mulching blade and mulch plug is a viable workaround?

• Bill Sellers
    7 years ago

Well, it is usable but I need to pick up the debris. For the size of my yard, having two lawnmowers doesn't make sense. My other one is failing so it's time to fish or cut bait. I'm not into raking anymore.

• 300ft_anin
    7 years ago

hi bill, i noticed that the mower was given to you. i'm up in seattle and during spring and fall i buy select mower's that are of no use to their owners, for what ever reason (usually) not starting. if the mower does not have a bag i normally won't purchase or i'll let know how important that is to me and adjust price. reason being, bags are expensive and hard to match. craftsman mowers along with most homeowner type mowers change yearly so it's hard to find a bag that fits properly. now is a good time to maybe check out some of the deals on CL. good luck.

• Lourdes Saldana
    3 years ago

I NEED a grass bag for my CRAFTSMAN Eager 1 Model #917382750 . Please help who has one ??