Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chesapeakebeach

Help Needed -- Tecumseh / Lauson Diaphragm Carburetor

chesapeakebeach
13 years ago

I'm working on an early 1980s Craftsman Edger with a 3.0 HP horizontal shaft Tecumseh engine and Lauson diaphram carburetor. The edger is Sears model 536871100 and the engine is Sears part 143711022. The machine had been in storage for a long time, and then after I first got it, put in fresh gas, took the head off the engine and removed the built-up crud from the combustion chamber, etc. and started it, it ran fine, but then it got into the habit of running for 10 minutes before stopping. Now it won't start at all. The spark plug is new and the air filter is new.

I had never cleaned the carburetor, so I tore into it with carb cleaner spray and made sure all the passages were clear. I will be putting in a carburetor repair kit (520312) as the needle and seat looked questionable and the seals around the needles were getting rotten.

A couple questions:

* Anything else anyone can advise me to check that would contribute to a no-start condition?

* What are the appropriate choke and throttle settings at start-up (choke can be off, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or full)?

* Where can I get instructions on setting the carburetor needle screws (one large, one small -- #10 and #14 on the diagram linked at

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=143711022&productCategoryId=1503500&brandId=0247&brandDescription=CRAFTSMAN&modelName=CRAFTSMAN-4-CYCLE-ENGINE&diagramPageId=00001&componentDescription=REPLACEMENT%20PARTS&documentId=00008114&blt=06

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Edger carb diagram

Comments (7)