Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pzazzera

Steering turns too far too left

pzazzera
9 years ago

Hello! I have a Craftsman Ride on model # 917.270671.
I am having an issue with the steering turning too far to the left which then causes my wheel to contact the cutting deck and causes my wheel to lock. I don't know if the mower has some type of prevention mechanism which stops it from turning the wheel to far and I don't want to take the steering apart until I know if that is where the problem lies. I have a photo of the wheel all the way to the left when it touches.

Comments (3)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

It looks like the axle is bent back, though hard to tell from this shot. The crosslink that goes between the two spindles may be bowed rather than straight. Posting more views may help/.

• rcmoser
    9 years ago

Had this same problem with mine. My guess the half moon sector gear has slipped pass the steering wheel shaft gear down under the battery or gas tank depending on your model. Just follow the steering wheel shaft down till you see the splines and the half moon sector gear.

These are burger to get back aligned. Bracket, Bushings, splines shafts wear and allow it to slip. Usually makes noise when it slips especially it you hit something with the front tires. Craftsman IMO is poor steering design it will turn tight one way and not as tight the other way even when new.

You need to watch the half moon gear ( can't think of the name sector I think) while turning the wheel full travel. IF you see a lot more teeth on one end of the half moon gear then it has slipped cog or two allowing it to turn further in one direction.

If that's not it my other guess is the steering plate is worn allowing the front tires to tilt back too far hitting the deck. Or long shot the bolt and nut that holds the front steering plate to the frame could be loose or worn. Either way you should see the wheel tilt back when turning the steering wheel full travel left to right.

replacing the steering sector, bushing, and shaft is NO EASY task. You will probably find lots of worn parts from the top plastic shaft bushing all the way down. Sears parts direct probably has most of the parts on hand. Good luck been their done that. It will test you mechanical ability that's for sure IMO.

• rustyj14
    9 years ago

Yes, its a maddening job to change those steering parts, and not cheap, either. If you have lots of patience, with those jobs, then do it yer-self. But, i warn you, if you have a short temper with that kind of work, better pay somebody to do it! I did my own, and bought and swilled down a case of liquid refreshment, before i was finished!
    This bit of free advice from that old sage--Rusty Jones!
    also: The urge to throw the offending parts thru the garage window, is hard to stifle! RJ