Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyma_gw

Fun with the Inty

andyma_gw
13 years ago

The Inty is what I call my 77 IH Cadet 80. It is my first sit down mower. I was given it back in 00. It had been outside for a few yrs and the seat was missing. I spent about 75$ to get it moving and replaced the seat with a wicker bar stool seat. It had been re-engined with an electric start, 11 hp B+S l/C vertical shaft flat head. Other than engine parts, I'm on my own. What NOS parts I can find are ridiculously priced. This is just a lawn mower, not an IH Cub Cadet which has quite a following. I have kept the ol' girl going on hardware and baling wire. Jury rig upon jury rig. I snappped the boss for the air cleaner housing off the carb throat, making a 7/16 hole. It ran barely on full choke. I wanted to mow, not hunt down a carb. My grass was getting tall. I mended the hole with some Permatex #2 forma gasket and some mechanics wire. No way was it gonna hold the air cleaner. So I reversed it front to back and drilled a hole new inboard aft corner for an 1 1/2" sheet rock screw going into a wooden block that I use for a stop for the blade clutch. It grabbed about 3/8". I made it through 3/4 of the lawn before the engine sputtered to a stop. I had noticed that the screw was gone. I tried to restart and the starter just whined like the engine had lost compression. I opened up the now floppy air cleaner. No screw, rats. I took off the carb and looked at the intake port. No screw. Off came the sheet metal, the tank, the muffler and finally the head. There was the screw, the head was jammed in the intake valve seat. A gentle pry and I freed the screw. I replaced the head re-using the gasket and did my best to get the head flat and tight. The engine started right up. I used a 3" #8 screw and the air cleaner loved it. So begins another mowing season.

Comments (3)