Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawnboy Coil Bake - how long does it last

Posted by hsur NY (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 21:16

I have a Lawnboy Silver Series Model 10227 4.75 HP with the Black/Gray coil (684048). Sat for a couple years tried to start it this year no spark. Did the ignition coil bake for 45 minutes at 225 F. Good spark. Replaced plug and is still working after 1 week and 2 hours run time. The question is how long will a baked coil last? Should I purchase a new coil as a backup?

Thanks

Wayne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawnboy Coil Bake - how long does it last

Lawnboy Silver Series Model 10227 calls for coil part #99-2916 (replaces 684049)

Lawn Boy 684048 does not fit your engine.

======================

I have found a way to bring 80% of the DuraForce ignition modules back to life that I have encountered. I will make a post about how it is done when I get the chance.

o

• Posted by hsur NY (My Page) on
    Sat, May 10, 14 at 21:50

hippy

Is the upper picture (the gray color coil) you posted the correct coil for the 10227 Silver Series? That looks like the shape of the coil that came off of my 10227. The number stamped on the coil is 684048

I will try to post the picture of the coil that was mounted on tmy 10227.

Just finished week 2 and the "baked" coil is still working. So 2 weeks and about 4 hours run time so far.

Thanks

Wayne

o

They vary widely. Mine lasted one running.

Walt Conner

o

Update. Coil is still making spark after 5 weeks and about 10 hours run time. I enjoy baking - not really, but to save a coil I will bake.

Walt thanks for you data point.

Wayne

o

I have found that 90% of the Lawnboy coil problems are where the plug wire attaches to the wire in the coil. Outlined in red.

I have many times used a small deremel cut off tool to carefully cut cut along each side of the plug wire to expose the connection. Solder the connection and use epoxy (not JB weld) to seal it back up. Many brought back to life and a lot of them are still working for people today.

You have nothing to lose by experimenting for the coil is worthless once it "goes dead". So why not see what makes it tick?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here