Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwright936_gw

Long Term Mower & Weedeater Storage

mwright936
12 years ago

I am moving to a new place that has a company that mows the lawn every other week, so I will not need to mow it myself. I am going to put my mower and weedeater in a storage unit since I will not be living in this new place forever (probably a year) and will have a lawn again one day.

The instructions for both pieces of equipment say to completely drain the gas and put some oil in the cylinder for long term storage. However, the policy at the storage facility is to have all fuel containers (fuel tanks on equipment included) completely full while stored. This seems opposite of what I would think they would want, but they said it's the fuel vapor that combusts, not the fuel, so apparently having containers completely full will reduce the vapor.

I still don't follow their logic, but either way, I am at the mercy of their policy. As I mentioned, the equipment will be in storage for at least a year. Would it be acceptable to store it full of fuel with stabilizer for that period of time? I plan on getting it out and letting it run from time to time, but that fuel will still be in there aging.

If I do store the fuel in there that long with stabilizer, would it be best to just drain the old fuel and put all new fuel in it when I do start using it again? I guess I may have to do that anyway.

Suggestions? Advice? Thanks in advance!!

Matt

Comments (2)