Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mich5_gw

Uneven cut - Why?

mich5
16 years ago

Hello.

I have Huskvarna 2148 and it gives me uneven cut. I replaced blades with Sears brand one (forgot the name and model) which is supposed to be the same model and it seems it is a little shorter. Sometimes line of uncut grass shows up after I mow lawn.

As far as I remember, I never had a good looking, even cut that you would get from pros with this lawn mower. Where should I look and how do I fix this? Balance the deck maybe, but how?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (4)

• larry_w
    16 years ago

There is ussually a way to balance the deck where it attaches to frame. A threaded bolt and nut or something. Also check the deck wheels. They are adjustable and could be why the uneven cut. To check both I park on level driveway and u can just measure each side. When u lower it both wheels should touch at same time. Never had a huskvarna but sure it is the same. Also maybe check tire pressure.
    I have a craftsman and the deck spindles and blades are interchangable as long as you get the right size blades, 42, 44, 46... what ever. Both made by american yard products(AYP) as well as poulan and poulan pro probably others.
    Hope that helps.

• broke_not
    16 years ago

Setting up the deck according to the owners manual will help, but there's something else that can cause the uneven cut with those decks also. The ventilated decks are stamped into that odd shape in which the top surface of the deck is rounded over where the blades sit. (It looks sort of bowl-shaped over every blade spindle.)

The curve is intended to make the clippings flow around in such a manner as to chop everything into bits before being discharged. I have a 46" deck similar to yours, and even after removing the baffles, cleaning out the underside of the deck, etc., it still does a pretty poor job of discharging the clippings unless I travel slooooooow.

All of that repeated chopping up of the clippings results in some of the grass puree' getting stuck to each and every curve, bump, and protrusion the "engineers" stamped into the deck. The buildup restricts airflow and "grassflow", and further impedes the already poor discharge performance. About an hour after mowing, I can see strips of uncut grass starting to stand back up.

Some people say they've had no such issues with the AYP decks, and that's probably true....depending on their mowing conditions. I picked up a well-used Gravely Pro 50 walk-behind mower a couple of weeks ago and it'll run circles around my rider under the same mowing conditions.

The deeper deck, (with no obstacles underneath for the grass to bounce off of on its way out the chute), results in a far better cut, higher speeds, and above all.....no stopping halfway through the mowing job to scrape off the accumulated grass under the deck in order to continue. When I'm done mowing, the underside of the Gravely deck will look the same as when I started. The AYP deck will have about 30 lbs. of junk stuck to the bottom. Grass will be built up so thick that the only place there isn't buildup, is directly in the blade swath.

Mower decks should be flat underneath.....unless you want to mulch. Chop the grass off once, and blow it out the side.

• mich5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

broke_not,

I think that is exactly what happens with my mower: strips of uncut/less cut grass. I rarely clean up the underneath and when I do, there are thick, solid layers of debris.

I want to mulch and in fact bought mulching kit for the mower from Sears (Craftsman), so side shute is closed now. Grass clips from the cut is not as fine as I would see from pros cut on my neighbor's yard.

So, it looks like I have only one option, to open up the side. Any other way such as gator blades and such?

Thanks.

• broke_not
    16 years ago

I've never had my mulching cover on, and even with the chute propped up the OEM blades did a poor job cutting and discharging.....unless I had *just* finished cleaning out the deck, sharpening the blades, etc. Even then, the quality of cut began to decrease after an hour or so.

I put on a set of Gator blades, and even though they're primarily intended to be better for mulching, they cut and discharged much better than the OEM blades. Still, after an hour or so it was time to raise the tractor up and start scraping off the buildup. Not scraping off the crud results in a 6" wide or so strip of grass to pop back up after mowing.

I really can't figure out the rationale behind this deck design. I bought my Craftsman GT new in '99. It's a big, beefy tractor that looks completely at home buzzing around my huge yard in the country.....and yet it has a deck that seems suitable for cutting a small, level, well-manicured lot in town. It takes longer, wastes horsepower, is harder on belts, etc.

I don't get it....