Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toro - only one wheel drive

Posted by oppalm (My Page) on
Mon, May 10, 10 at 21:54

I have a Toro Personal Pace mower 6HP GTS. Both rear wheels drive the mower (usually) . However this year only the right rear wheel is working (driving) the mower. The left rear wheel moves freely , but the power propelled drive is not working on it. Any ideas as to what is causing this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toro - only one wheel drive

The wheel clutch on the pinion gear on that side is not engaging. Either dirt or to much grease has it jammed up. You might free it up by flushing with a solvent or with WD-40 and then a "little" grease. This clutch needs to be assembled exactly right so if you take it apart be sure you get it exactly together the same way. Pretend it's a watch you are taking apart. It's that critical or it will not work. Print out a picture of the parts for reference from Toro's online parts site.

o

thanks. I figured I should probably take the wheel off and check it out.

o

Go here:
http://www.toro.com/
Click on Customer Care and then a new window opens. Type in your mowers model number, it will bring up 4 or 5 choices depending on year. Click on one that is close. Under "Manuals and Parts" click on Manuals. Open the file called: Toro/Lawn-Boy Walk Behind Power Mower Drive Systems Manual [ English ]
Once it opens go to page 5-2. This section will tell you everything you need to know and has diagrams of how everything goes together.

o

One wheel drive could be very useful when turning =P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here