Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprinklrdr

Kawasaki FB460V John deere

sprinklrdr
14 years ago

I have a 36" John Deere walk behind, maybe mid 80's with a Kawasaki FB460V.

This engine has always been an SOB to pull start, so I got a used starter on Ebay and installed it. Like a hillbilly I jump my mower from my truck, but that's beside the point (I think)

The starter works great, mower fires up and runs good at full throttle about 10-15 minutes, then turns off like a switch. Plenty of fuel, but no spark. After a days rest it will re-start and do the same thing.

My question is if there is a heat overload switch? If I left the pull starter and shroud off the mower and just left the exposed flywheel would that have anything to do with this problem? Could I have the wrong spark plug? The existing one is a Champion CJ14 the guy at Napa sold me.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (7)

• net_worker
    14 years ago

"My question is if there is a heat overload switch?"

No.

"If I left the pull starter and shroud off the mower and just left the exposed flywheel would that have anything to do with this problem?"

Running without the blower housing will cause the engine to run far to hot. I suspect the ignition coil is breaking down when the engine is hot. If that's the case it will have to be replaced.

"Could I have the wrong spark plug?"

You may but that's not the problem.

Mike

• sprinklrdr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info net worker. I put the screen and pull starter back on the flywheel, started the mower, and ran about 10 minutes before it quit.

If I understand you right, the coil is weak and I need a new one. As a sidenote, what is the ignitor, the little square chip thing next to the dipstick?

Thanks,

Tom

• net_worker
    14 years ago

"If I understand you right, the coil is weak and I need a new one. As a sidenote, what is the ignitor, the little square chip thing next to the dipstick?"

Ok, you have a trigger on this setup and it tells the coil when to fire. The trigger or the coil could be causing this problem and I would lean toward the coil. Without a scope there is no real way to know which is the culprit and even then its tricky because you have to catch the parts hot and failing. You have the dilemma of which part to try in that most electrical parts are not returnable. IF you are ready to take a shot at it try the coil first. If funds are an issue (when are they not?) and you don't have a shop that will let you try a part and then return it call me at 662-243-1549 8-5 central.

Mike

• sprinklrdr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Changed out coil today, ran like a champ.

Thanks mike

• metal
    14 years ago

Make sure you keep the blower housing on or you will be replacing it again soon.

• galaris
    14 years ago

I would replace the spark plug before the coil..it's a long shot, but I've seen plugs refuse to fire after warming up (as well as coils)

• pfc123
    13 years ago

I have a 48" bobcat with the FB460v on it and this year when the oil level is full not over full if I hit a rut or go up a steep incline it starts smoking white smoke and stalls, this engine is a full pressure lubricant not sure what the problem can be I dumped half the crank case out and it still happens.
    I've had other machines do this when over filled but never half empty other than this problem it runs beautiful
    Any help would be appreciated