Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dizadncr_gw

Need Advice for Buying a new mower

dizadncr
11 years ago

Hi - I'm buying a new mower this weekend. I will probably end up buying a Honda or Toro from Home Depot. I need a self-propelled because most of my yard is on a hill and it's a lot of work. Right now I have a Craftsman self-propelled and I'm hoping to find a mower that is lighter because that thing is way to heavy. I live in the Pacific NW with lots of rain and a shady yard, so I need a mower that will mow tall grass without dying constantly. (I am very frustrated with my mower right now!) I'm hoping to find something for $400 or less.

What do you think of the bigger wheels on some of the Toro?

Should I look at other mowers or will the Honda or Toro do what I need?

I'd appreciate any advice you'd like to give me! Thanks!

Comments (11)

• donb1183
    11 years ago

You will probably be happy with any name brand mower (Toro, Honda, Snapper, etc). Why not check out your local power equipment dealer. Prices will likely be the same, but you will get much better service and will have a resource to call on if you have any problems.

You can get a self-propelled Snapper with a 190cc Briggs for about that price. It should have the power for your yard.

• bluemower
    11 years ago

I have not looked at the current mowers from Home Depot so my comments are general.

Since you mentioned mowing on Hills, consider a rear drive mower. This will have better traction than the front drive models.

Generally, the smaller mower engines are about 160CC while the larger engines feature about 190CC. The smaller engine is probably ok on a 20" mower. The larger engine will probably be better choice for the 21" or 22" mowers. Good luck with your purchase.

• dizadncr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would prefer to buy a mower at a local power equipment dealer, but I'm from a small area and the only dealer I know of sells Husquavarna. Do you have an opinion on that brand? Consumer Reports didn't really rate them too high.

Also, do you think the bigger back wheels are a help or a hindrance or neither?

• wadedavis
    11 years ago

How long do you want to keep your new mower?

• dizadncr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I tend to keep things for a long time, so I assume this will be the same. I think my old Craftsman is probably about 8-10 years old.

• wadedavis
    11 years ago

Since you're the type of person who tends to keep things a long time, you need something durable. Therefore, if your budget allows it, spend a few hundred dollars more and get one of the Honda HRX models or (if you feel comfortable buying online) a Toro Super Reycler 20382. These mowers are built with more durable components than those on most $200-$400 mowers--well worth the extra money for someone who keeps equipment a long time.

The Honda HRX and the Toro Super Recycler both performed very well in Consumer Reports' mower tests, so they shouldn't have any problem handling tall grass.

• twelvegauge
    11 years ago

Generally speaking, Husqvarna equipment is pretty good. The company has been around for years, as Roper, AYP (American Yard Products), Electrolux, and now Husqvarna. They make most of the higher-end Craftsman stuff. They also make Poulan Pro, Weedeater. and Ariens (the last two being amoung their lower-end equipment.) Just one old guy's opinion, but I don't put much faith in CR's evaluation of lawn equipment.

• dizadncr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I ended up buying a Honda HRR from a 'local' power tool store (by local I mean 50 miles away). It's not the top of the line but I think I'll be very happy with it. I feel good about not buying it from a big box store - it was actually the same price as Home Depot, plus the store provides a longer warranty and works on them there if needed (with HD I'd have to drive 100 miles to take it in for service). I came home and mowed my lawn and I'm sure I'll be very happy with this purchase! :-)

• wadedavis
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update. You made the right choice in buying from a dealer---your money stayed local, and you have a place to take the mower for service that has a vested interest in keeping you happy.

• baymee
    11 years ago

I asked my buddy at the Honda dealership and he confirmed that HD sells the exact same high-quality top-of-the-line Honda as a dealer. I didn't know this.

He said the Honda rep hardly comes around anymore and they must be focusing on the box stores now.

My buddy's dealership is what HD uses for warranty work, which is probably more profitable anyway. He's seriously considering dropping Honda because of Honda's new marketing.

• tooltime79
    11 years ago

Glad to see the OP got his mower and is happy with it. On the subject of new mowers someone mentioned the Husky's. I checked one out at Lowes. VERY heavy and cumbersome. If you have a larger yard that is fairly flat with not much to trim around that would be fine but they would be a bear for most people to jockey around. Just my $.02

I just bought a Lawn Boy 10604. I haven't tried it yet but it is much lighter than the Hondas and Husky's I looked at.

With tax less than $300