Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
church2224

What is the Best Commercial 21 for me?

Church2224
11 years ago

Hey everyone, I just joined this forum after reading some threads.

I currently cut a few yards in my area and my number or properties is growing. I need to find a mower that will stand abuse for years to come and also have great quality of cut.

The main thing is I need a good bagger that is self propelled. Also a blade brake clutch would be nice but it is not required. Most of the time I bag, and for the lawns I mulch I have two Toro Super Recyclers that can take care of the few mulching duties I have. The main ones I have been looking at are the Toro 22156, the Honda HRC216, the Exmark Commercial 21 X series with either the Kai and/or the Honda, or the Snapper CP2155HV.

Any advice as to which one or the top choices?

Comments (21)

• romore_gw
    11 years ago

They are all top notch mowers, go to the dealer that gives the best service. Honda seems to be most popular in our area.

• canuck88
    11 years ago

Those range in price pretty significantly - the Toro and the Snapper are under $900, and the other two are over $1100+ - did you end up making a decision?

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

I would look into the Honda HRX217HYA. I know its not a commercial mower but over at lawnboards there is a guy that has been using his for a season or two and couldn't be happier.

• mowernut
    11 years ago

I have the Honda HRC216, and am unhappy with the cut. Mine leaves random single blades of uncut grass throughout the lawns I mow. They look as though they have been blown over instead of being cut, then pop back up. Often the next day shows more than it originally looked like still standing. Honda denies any issues. I've even gotten a new blade set, and adjusted the rpm higer with no improvement. Toro or Exmark are really good - especially with the Kawi engine.

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

I agree wif mowernut you cant go wrong with an exmark with the kai engine. Even though now I prefer kubota or Scag mowers I used exmark mowers when I started my lawn service with no probs. I have had problems with honda mowers leaving blown down patches. But thats your choice im sure not all hondas do this.

• Brett101
    11 years ago

Retired my John Deere 14SE after 17 years. Bought a HRC216 and I'm having the same problem with single blades not getting cut. Pathetic for a 1100.00 dollar lawn mower. I ordered the spacer to replace the mulching blade. I'll see if that helps at all. Are any after market blades better than Honda's for this problem?

• rosemallow
    11 years ago

If you are going to bag with the Honda you should get a high lift blade. I do not use any spacers. Just bolt on the high lift blade.
    I like the Honda HRX 217 HXA. This is the higher horsepower engine and has a lot of great features.
    Stay away from the Honda lawn mowers with speeds of 3, 2, or 1. The transmissions are garbage. The Hydrostatic transmissions are a better selection..

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

I use Gator Blades on all of my Kubota and Scag mowers. And my push mowers. These blades cut out 95% of my blowdowns and bad cuts but sometimes just changing the blades doesnt help. To properly use a mulching blade the machine must be set up for it, ie use the proper baffles and chute blocker. Running mulching blades under a regular deck will do nothing for you other than make you spend more money. Kubota came out with a kit for their machines back in the early 90's that had baffles and a chute blocker and used plain hylift blades. These Worked very well until I got tired of changing them out all the time in the spring. Now that I use gator blades I dont use anything else plus they dont leave big clumps behind in tall grass. Plus if they dont work for you most places will let you return for your choice of blade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gator Blades

• rosemallow
    11 years ago

I disagree.
    Honda makes a bagging high lift blade for their lawnmower.
    By vacuum it lifts the grass higher and cuts better and more even. And it bags better.
    As for mulching I don't care what anyone thinks. I know The honda mulching blades peform better than any Gator blade.
    The two blades are patented. You get the smallest particles of grass and all others leave duty balls on the grass which kills the grass.
    Try a Honda for mulching and you will find out what it can really do.

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

Oops yeah I agree with "rosemallow" I forgot about my honda pushmower im thinking about ztr's and of like size mowers I forgot that my honda has the quad-cut blade system works very well..

• Brett101
    11 years ago

I removed my mulching blade and installed Honda's spacer I bought for $5.00. No more long single blades left uncut and it runs quieter and smoother.

• Brett101
    11 years ago

I removed my mulching blade and installed Honda's spacer I bought for $5.00. No more long single blades left uncut and it runs quieter and smoother.

• Robert Zielinski
    8 years ago

Ok I have the Exmark 21 walk behind. I am going to do all I can to stop any other consumer from purchasing this "commercial" grade mower. I cut grass once a week and have this mower in the shop every year for $150 to $200 a year for repairs. The first year I had it I had to engage the Exmark's engineer to work with the distributor in Michigan to fix 2 engineering flaws. Well this situation continues from 2010 to 2015. It died again on 6-19-2015 after another $300 spring repair in April. DO NOT BUY THIS MOWER. I AM POSTING ON ALL SOCIAL MEDIA ACCESS POINTS THAT I CAN. And to top it off when I took it in for repair the service guy told me "Honda is the way to go for commercial mowers". Thanks sales guy at D&G for selling me this. I did research and saw complaints. I should have listened, I would love to talk to Tom the Exmark engineer again.

• romore_gw
    8 years ago

This sounds like a problem with the dealer and possibly the operator, Exmark builds fine product. What do you mean by engineering flaws?

• Justin Steeby
    8 years ago

I have the HRC216HXA and wanted to chime in on the uncut blades of grass being left. It makes me sick to think that I spent $1200.00 on a mower that cuts this poorly. I have tried everything! Gator blades, grasshopper high lift blade, stock quad setup, single stock setup, different heights of blade within the deck, mulching, side discharge, bagging, everything! I think a ceiling fan would cut grass better than this mower. I would put the MTD home depot $100 mower cut up against the hrc cut any day of the week. It blows my mind that this mower cuts this bad under all conditions. Even if you go over it twice it will still leave grass uncut. I have even seen marks on the blades of grass that the mower blade hit it and did not cut it. Yes the blades are sharp, no they are not on upside down. I have literally tried 10 different blades on this mower. Robert, if you are looking for that Honda I have a like new one setting here for ya. Only 30 hours on it!

• 1saxman
    8 years ago

Justin; what's your cutting height and what kind of grass do you have?

• Robert Zielinski
    8 years ago

As for the engineering issue, first issue the belt for the mower was exposed. All grass cuttings went up into the belt and threw it. Second issue after the belt plate was installed the belt continued to be thrown. I don't know what Exmark and the dealer did but I had new fitting for the belt adjustment. In the shop for 2 months during my first 6 months.The Exmark 21 I purchased was the first year of the new model, lots of bugs. The grass height I cut is 3 inches on all hills. Their RazorX may be solid but the walk behinds have much to be desired. I maintained this mower with proper oil, filter changes and it still ended up in the shop. Not sold on Xmark walk behinds.

• Justin Steeby
    8 years ago

1Saxman, I have K31 fescue from Tractor Supply Co. I am cutting it at 3 inches. Not the best grass choice. I guess I have to take the good with the bad. I have a pretty large area that I am maintaining. About an Acre. The seed is cheap. Wants next to no water. Stays pretty green even in the dry time of year. Grows like a weed but thats ok because I like to mow. I dont think that the mower is pushing it down, I think the grass is just growing all goofy and sideways through the blades next to it. If I run a rake through it to loosen everything up it cuts pretty good. A lot of work though. I ran the blade spacer tonight with the single bottom blade. Seemed to work better. For anyone wanting to use a straighter high lift blade, it doesnt work any better than stock. I took a Grasshopper 1/4" thick blade and machined it to mount up to my hrc216hxa. This moved the blade up farther into the deck. My thought was that this would create more suction, I was wrong. It cut way worse.

• shayna1043
    8 years ago

I bought a Exmark commercial 21" mower with a Kawasaki FJ180V engine, what a hunk of junk.. The mower moves and cuts great, BUT it does not start consistently, I usually have to work on it for 45 min. To cut for the same time.unacceptable in a $1,200 mower,I blame the engine mostly. I'm constantly using my 25 yr old Troybilt mower, never has let me down..

if I was to do it again I would get this mower with the Honda engine, or save lots of money and just get a Honda HRC mower...

• Paul Alldredge
    6 years ago

I have owned Honda commercial and Exmark commercial mowers and both have their weaknesses.

First, the Honda has a quill shaft between the motor and the transmission be it a hydrostatic or a fixed speed transmission. I have had nothing but headaches with these shafts. They wear out way too fast and are about $80 each time you replace one. I have found the engines on the Honda's to be bulletproof. I have had two of my Honda's experience transmission failures. The Hydrostatic drive is a $350 part. the direct drive 3 speed fixed drives have weak mounting ears that will break off if over-torqued when they are mounted. I have had one of these replaced under warranty.

The Exmark 21" has issues with the blade brake cable. This cable has a habit of breaking at the most opportune time and it is always an order item for $22.00 from my local dealer. In addition, if you have trouble with the gas flooding the cylinder to the point it is dead-heading the piston, you have a worn out carburetor needle. There is a polymer coating on the needle and alcohol laced gas will destroy the coating. This means another trip to the dealer for a $22.50 needle and even more if you can't salvage the gaskets for the carburetor. Next, would be the flimsy construction of the door for the bag. It will eventually fatigue with the bend on the hinge and fall off. It is a problem you can fix with a pair of pliers. Why would they put such a flimsy metal door on this part of a "commercial" mower? Lastly, I have had issues with the drive belts coming off the pulley. It is a pain to put it back on again.

Mowing quality is about the same. Each Spring I have to break out my can of starting fluid to get my mowers started. This applied to the Honda as well. I will say removal of the gas bowl is easier on the Honda v. the Exmark. The Honda is a totally engineered Honda machine, whereas the Exmark is a collection of parts from various suppliers and sources.

I will be much more circumspect the next time I buy a $1100 lawnmower. If there are any other choices out there that come highly recommended I would appreciate knowing how they perform in the field.

• shayn10
    6 years ago

I've fixed my problems with my Exmark comm. 21"/ KIA. Mower, I was on the fence of selling it for parts , so I ordered a new Kawasaki engine and put it on the Exmark body, this engine has a carburetor that is slightly different than the original Kaw.engine carb. All I know is now this motor starts all the time, amazing... I can also say Exmark has very poor customer service towards home owners, they SUCK. as I tried to work to resolve my issues, and just gave up...

I've made a plate to seal around the blade shaft so loose grass clippings don't end up where the belt runs works great, also the blade stop cable problem is real, but the upper end is open to moisture ( water) enters and the cable corrodes and breaks, get a new cable, lube the cable with a motorcycle cable luber .. then clean the top end with a little alchaol to remove the oil and seal the end with silicone, once dry the cable will pull thru the silicone, and the water stays out, and the oil will stay in for smooth operation..

P.S. As a young man I worked in the trade of landscaping, now I'm just a home owner, but I'm a guy that buys the best quality tools available ( Commercial grade) and keeps them for a very long time.. and now I also have a spare engine to use way down the line as the original was only used for say 5 yrs, and its core is still like new.

if I had to do it again it would buy a Honda HRC 216 Comm.. but now there hard to find as that model is being fazed out...

Gary