Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Mclane Rotary

Posted by kbluegrass_sux utah (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 23:23

OK guys....I grew up in Cali where we always had Bermuda grass. It was simple to cut as long as you had a reel mower to get is nice and short. Ours looked great after every cut. Well the time came for me to move to Utah. I took with me my mclane reel mower to the new house. Needless to say it cut like garbage and looked like garbage. I soon realized I had Kentucky blue grass. So I changed to a rotary and for a while it was a much better change. I had purchased a very expensive Mclane 21 inch suction model with self propelled and a Honda engine. I had used it for 2 years so far without any hickups....I was having it serviced during the winter. However the belt broke on the self propelled part. So I complained one day to my wife on having to push it manually and the next thing I know for fathers day I received this orange thing from sears called a Husqavarna. It had a drive system as well so I used it. The vibration was more than the old one and the cut was ok but not a suction type like the Mclane. But I had never gotton rid of the mclane. Then the orange thing started to have issues with the B&S engine. And I really started to miss the mclane. Then the orange pos leaked all of its fuel out of the primer button hole and onto the floor of my shed. Not to mention the exit chamber to the bag always getting clogged. I had had enough as of today!!!! I gave it to a friend and it is now his problem. Anyways....where can I get replacment wheels and how do I replace the belt for my mclane?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Mclane Rotary

I'm a little surprised you like the McLane rotary. When I lived in LA in the 80's and 90's most gardeners didn't like the rotary, especially the self propelled. It was more expensive and a much more complicate knock-off of the Snapper. Like Snapper they use a belt-driven turntable and rubber wheel drive, and also used two belts, but McLane goes further with a dual chain drive.

That said, you should be able go the to McLane site and get an owner's manual (in PDF) The have an exploded breakdown and parts list. You should be able to find someone in the Salt Lake area who sells McLane and stocks parts. If not, the factory on Rosecrans in Paramount will sell parts via mail order.

I used to go directly to the factory to buy parts when I was working on their reel mowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: McLane Lawnmower

o
RE: Help with Mclane Rotary

yes I almost went toro and snapper....but I got great value with my edger and reel mower from mclane so I decided to try the mclane. Also I got a closeout deal at 700 bucks with free shipping. So value was already in play. Now I just need a new belt and a couple of new tires and I am good. The blow-up pics in the PDF however give no info on how to change the belt. One thing I like about the model I have is the custom height adjustment with the crank. Newer ones are pre-set and notched. No in between!!
California LAWNS....I miss the use of the reel mower. But that grass wont grow at 6,500 feet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here