Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverfalcon81

Electric vs. Gas

silverfalcon81
11 years ago

Alright, I have read a few of the threads on here, most of which appear to be a bit old so I want to try this.

I am debating the purchase of a decent electric mower. That said, I would like to provide some background here.

1) I own a nice briggs & stratton, 26" deck, 6.5 hp, rear drive gas mower. I love my mower. I clean it after every use and it looks as new as the day I bought it. I have lovingly maintained it, sharpen the blade 3 times a year, and don't let anybody touch it but me and my wife (under supervision).

2) My lawn is not great. I redid my entire property two years ago, reseeded it with a few bags of slower growth (blue grass & fescue mix I think) grass. I lost my job, things got tight, and I wasn't able to really maintain it beyond mowing it for a year. Now money is still pretty tight, but the weeds are back in full force and my once beautiful lawn looks like crap.

3) I plan on weed & feeding it and throwing some more seed down next week to try and fill in the bare spots and choke out the weeds. My wife has never had a nice lawn in her entire life and I am damned and determined to give her and my son a beautiful lawn to play in.

4) That said... my wonderful mower is killing me. I am spending somewhere around $9.00 a week on gas (at current prices), which is pushing $40.00 a month, and because of our climate I have to mow for about 8 months of the year, so conservatively I am paying out about $320 a year for gas plus around $25 for maintenance supplies and blade sharpening.

5) Earlier this spring I bought us a Earthwise TC70001 11-Inch 8-1/2 Amp Electric Tiller/Cultivator to work the garden and prepare my flower beds. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't have the oomph to pull it off... but I have fallen in love. That little thing just tears up everything in it's path, requires no gas or oil, and is just a little beast. I followed that purchase with a Earthwise ST00015 15-Inch 6.25 amp Electric String Trimmer which I have also grown quite fond of.

6) That means the only gas outdoor device I have left is my mower. I love my mower, but the cost is killing me. So I am looking into trading my beloved mower in for an electric. That leads to my overall question. What electric mowers are good, not built to cheap disposable standards, and have the power to do the job. I will add a few notes:

a) I don't care about self propelled. I do have it on my existing mower, but I find I rarely if ever use it. I have a nice flat lawn now with no dips or hills, so it is easy to push (and helps me lose weight!)

b) I DO NOT want batteries of any kind. Batteries are a pain to charge, tend to die after a few years, are rather expensive, and frankly are just a hastle I do not want to deal with.

c) I prefer a larger cutting deck, but I don't mind spending my time mowing (again trying to lose weight).

d) I want it to bag or mulch, I usually bag it because I hate having grass on my feet when I walk through my yard to the chicken coop. Plus the chickens LOVE to pick through the pile of grass clippings I throw in their coop.

e) I have already wired plenty of outlets around my property and at no time will I require more than 75' of cord, though I have several 100' heavy duty cords to use if need be.

So... given that information... any ideas? Please don't flame me. I understand the electrics are not as powerful as the gas mowers, I am looking for honest and helpful critique please. Thanks!

Comments (26)

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I agree with bill, I would suggest staying with this gas mower. I went down the electric path in my past and wound up paying twice as much in electric bills those E-mowers use alot more juice than you would think.

• brendab136
    11 years ago

Just my two cents worth, but I'll tell you why I love my electric mower, a very cheap (99 bucks or so on clearance) Black & Decker bought at a WalMart several years ago. Pros:
    1. It is much tougher than I expected, easily cutting through high brush on the edges of our very wooded back yard.
    2. It is SO much quieter than any other gas-powered mower could ever be (my neighbors approve, I'm sure, not that I'm an early morning mower, because the grass is too wet then, anyway.)
    4. There are NO gas fumes! (This is very important to my old, asthmatic lungs.)
    5. NO gas expense or having to shlep to the gas station with a can.
    A few cons:
    1. It takes a while getting used to where to put the cord, and being mindful of where the cord is at all times.
    2. Cords can be expensive, especially when my husband or teenaged sons mowed, because they have clipped a few cords in their time!
    3. It takes patience to mulch, because you need to go slower than usual if you want to get higher grass mulched into tiny pieces. (This can be difficult for the before-mentioned husband and ipod ear-bud wearing teenagers.)

• roadbike
    11 years ago

Hi. The short answer is that you are going to pay for the energy used to cut grass no matter the source. Your lawn will get cut by converting energy from one form to another regardless of the type of mower used.

A gasoline powered mower obviously burns gasoline to extract the energy and convert it. So you pay at the gas pump.

An electric mower also depends on converting some form of energy to electricity which is then shipped hundreds of miles to your house. Usually the source of energy is burning some form of hydrocarbon fuel. So you pay the electric utility.

Electric mowers are designed to mow small lawns at a leisurely pace. Their small motors mean they will take for ever on large areas and will bog down in thick grass and weeds.

• evdpgh
    11 years ago

I'd like to know how much area the OP is mowing if he is using 2 gallons of gas a week? I cut a quarter acre with a 21" self-propelled 4-stroke and if I cut once a week I don't even use a gallon of gas in a month.

• romore_gw
    11 years ago

I agree, you are either cutting a lot of grass or mowing more than once a week. I mow a double lot with a 20 something year old mower, one 5L can lasts most of the season.
    19" is about the largest deck you will find on an electric. A larger size means a longer blade needing more power. More power means more weight, cost and higher current draw which becomes a problem with long extension cords.There is no free lunch.

• evdpgh
    11 years ago

"one 5L can lasts most of the season."...To put that in perspective if I have the conversion correct 5 liters is only 1.321 US gallons.

• evdpgh
    11 years ago

No response from the OP yet. I think that we were being put-on. Nobody in their right mind would consider cutting an area that required 2 gallons of gas a week with any of the corded, electric mowers availabe today.

• brendab136
    11 years ago

Hmmm, interesting theory, he could be an energy salesman or an electric lawn implement salesman! jk...but, I just checked gas prices for his state, Washington on gasbuddy.com. Bellevue and Spokane prices were anywhere from $4.01 to 4.89, more than a dollar per gallon than CT, where I live! So, maybe he is using less gas than you thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: gasbuddy

• evdpgh
    11 years ago

"So, maybe he is using less gas than you thought."...Although, I didn't know for sure when he said $9.00 a week I figured 2 gallons at $4.50 a gallon. Regular gasoline where I am is currently at $3.60 a gallon.

• evdpgh
    11 years ago

Even at $5.00 a gallon $9.00 a week or $36.00 a month will buy 7.2 gallons of gas. Enough to take a car that gets 20MPG 144 miles.

• 1saxman
    11 years ago

If he has a 26" mower, like an Exmark, and is trying to handle about 5 acres, he could possibly be using that much gas. The crazy thing (even for Washington) is that he actually would consider buying an electric mower for that job. It wouldn't last one time around, and even if it did, by the time you buy a mile of extension cords (with resultant current loss so bad that it would be better to drag around a 100' cord and a gas generator to run the mower) you're so deep in the hole that you will wish you never heard of an electric mower. They're toys for tiny yards.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Remember- electricity is free because it comes from "MAGIC"!

• evdpgh
    11 years ago

"If he has a 26" mower, like an Exmark, and is trying to handle about 5 acres"...If my calculations are correct to cut an actual 5 acres with a 26" mower would require one to travel (walk or ride) approximately 19 miles.

• 1saxman
    11 years ago

'"If he has a 26" mower, like an Exmark, and is trying to handle about 5 acres"...If my calculations are correct to cut an actual 5 acres with a 26" mower would require one to travel (walk or ride) approximately 19 miles.'

That was my point - he must be cutting a huge lot to use that much gas. About 5 hrs each time, and at about 1 qt/hr fuel consumption, that's 1.25 gal/wk, or 5 gal/mo. But that only comes to $17.25/mo at $3.45/gal, and he said he uses twice that. Maybe its 10 acres!:)

• evdpgh
    11 years ago

"Maybe it's 10 acres!"...Well that changes everything. A corded electric mower is obviously impractical. Maybe he should reconsider a cordless, rechargable, electric mower.

• roadbike
    11 years ago

After rereading the original post I am beginning to think his estimate of fuel usage was a swag. I get the feeling he is looking for justification to buy a new electric mower more than anything else. Also I wonder how big the lot really is and whether the mower is actually 26". The facts of that story do not make much sense.

• evdpgh
    11 years ago

I think that the fact that he mentioned 2 Earthwise products in his post probably tells the whole story.

• hawkeyechuck
    11 years ago

I bought an electric WORX lawn mower (model WG780) two years ago and I'm very happy with it. I would absolutely make sure that your yard is not to big, or you will be walking all day. I have a little less than an acre and it takes me about 30-40 minutes depending on my pace to finish the lawn. I am 56 and may be a little slower than most!

Here is a link that might be useful: WORX Mowers

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

Hmmm. Dont know about this one.

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

Hmmm. Dont know about this one.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Why not let this thread die?

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

These folks who want to mow their grass, using an electric lawn mower, must be drinking something besides beer or pop!
    One evening, whilst driving around the neighbor-hoods, i espied a large bundle of orange extension cord, in the garbage pile, along with a nice electric lawn mower! Took it all home. The ends of the cords had been cut, ostensibly by a mower blade, and the mower itself had been kissed by a sledge hammer! OOOFF!
    Well, some store bought extension cord male and female plugs fixed the cords, and the electric mower still did its job of shortening extension cords! Well, not for me-I set it out on my garbage night, and it was gonzo by dawn!

• evdpgh
    11 years ago

"These folks who want to mow their grass, using an electric lawn mower, must be drinking something besides beer or pop!"...I will beg to differ. There are many, particularly women, who are intimidated by gasoline-powered equipment. Within their limits (small, level yard) an electric mower will will allow them to cut their own yard and save them considerable money over hiring a lawn service to do their mowing.

• roadbike
    11 years ago

I agree. There is indeed a place for electric mowers. They are great for people with smaller lawns who don't wan't the hassle of maintaining a gas mower and who don't want to try a push reel.

An electric mower would appeal to someone in a townhouse because they could just plug it in and mow without having to store fuel and change oil.

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

Hmm ruh roh rastro sumthins gone amok with this guys mower. My Kubota ZD331P dont even use this amount in diesel in the same amount of time (figure of speach considering each tank holds roughly $25 apeice). Wats goin on here is he mowin it 3 times a day or something?