Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yungman_gw

Compare Kawi FJ180 to Honda GXV160.

yungman
14 years ago

I have been looking at 21" commercial mowers. Seems like the Kawi FJ180 and The Honda GSV160 and GXV160 are the most used engine for this small wb/self propel mowers.

I did some diging, they all have cast iron cylinder lining. Kawi has no crank ball bearing, GSV have one ball bearing on the load side and GXV have ball bearings on both side.

Is crankshaft ball bearing important for longivity of the engine?

Is the Kawi FJ180 as durable as the Honda GSV or GXV engines?

Is it that important to get the Honda engines?

Comments (21)

• skane1
    14 years ago

I would stay clear of the kawi fj180 cuz they have a lubrication issue currently.
    Honda's are an amazing engine and have been around for over 50 years so I'd go with honda without blinking.
    I know of a few farm applications where after 20 years the honda engines are still working fine.
    You can't go wrong with honda

• yungman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the reply, what is the lubrication issue? Is this a new engine?

Any comment on the cheaper Honda GSV160 or GSV190?

• heintooga
    14 years ago

I have two Snappers, one with a B&S Quantum 6.5 and one with the FJ180V(new). I also have a Honda with a GSV160. The Kawasaki has considerable more power than the others. The Honda(new) and B&S(5yrs.old)are about equal in power. Though the Honda is nice enough, if I knew then what I know now, I would have bought another Snapper but I wanted to try something different.

• yungman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am leaning toward one with Kawasaki engine but if it has lubrication problem, that would be bad. I have bad experience with Honda on warrantee issue and I read quite a few people on different forums said they have problem getting warrantee coverage from Honda also.

What is the lubrication problem regarding of the FJ180V?

• yungman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anyone else?

• fritowrdo
    14 years ago

Kawasaki FJ180v is the way to go.

How come you are not going to lawnsite as I have seen your posts there before?

• yungman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got banned!!! I still read their post everyday. But I have been having too much fun with the other two lawn forums and this one. Other than once I while I need some info, I really don't need to join them anymore. This is one of the times that they might be able to help but I just don't like the people there well enough to bother.

• vprinzo
    14 years ago

The GSV isn't in the same league as the GXV. The GXV starts easier, runs smoother, is more powerful, has dual bearings, and is rated for longer life than the GSV. Spend the money go with the GXV.

• roadbike
    14 years ago

I seem to remember a similar thread.....last year?

Anyway, the first question to ask is whether you have need of a comercial grade lawnmower. Homeowners do not, unless they are mowing all their neighbors lawns at the same time.

• hedgehorn
    14 years ago

I would go with the GXV as well. Costs a little more but from what I have read they are worth the extra. ;)

• skiezo
    14 years ago

The kawasaki has a crank shaft that tapers to a smaller dia. toward the bottom
    of the shaft. I have bent 2 in the last few years on a cub cadet.
    My mower tech has seen quite a few kawasaki motors with bent crank shafts both on commerical and home owner models.
    I would go with the honda.

• fritowrdo
    14 years ago

What cub cadet model has the fj180v in it? The fj180v is not considered a home owner model.

• yungman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I might be a home owner, but I am a gear head!!!! THis is the end to the means!!! I have the top of the line Troybilt and I paid $375 for it less than two years ago. One wheel is dangling, the deck got bent by hitting something, clipping don't go into the bag. Even after hammering the deck back, wash the bag, sharpened the blade, still not working right. I have to really increase the rpm to make it work better!!!

I'll take a commercial this time. The reason I rather not get Honda is because I have bad experience with their warrantee and people responded that they have problems with having warrantee service of their Honda mowers. A lot of them got denied.

• vprinzo
    14 years ago

Sounds like your problem isn't with the engine it is with the frame. If you want the best mower on the market go with the Honda HRX217HXA. It is rated Consumer reports #1, it has a 3yr warranty, it mulches and bags better than anything out there, it is very powerful, the Hydrostatic TM is the best functioning TM in a walkbehind, it is farily light weight, the engine is a GCV190 and it will easily go 10yrs, the deck is indestructable, and it has a variable mowing system to vary the amount of grass you want to bag/mulch. It is around $700 bucks but it is worth it. If you get a commerical mower it is going to be really heavy, and they won't cut as good as the HRX.

• skiezo
    14 years ago

My cub cadet was a 2003 model. I think it was the sr650 or something like that.
    The worst mower I have ever owned. Complete junk including the engine.
    The crank bent twice and a bunch of other stuff.

• yungman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Look like I am going to have to hold my nose and get one with GXV160, that is just too bad!!!

• lawnboynut
    14 years ago

Stay away from HONDA GXV engines-they have too many problems-OHC/OHV engines are overkill for lawnmowers-stay with an L-HEAD BRIGGS-much more reliable

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

The GSV190 to me is the ultimate mower engine. I guess this is because I have one on a LB 22271 commercial. If you can find one, this is the mower for you. Toro also has the same thing painted red, 22156. You can get the 22271 for about $799 if you can find one since they are discontinued. The 22156 is about $950.

• roadbike
    14 years ago

"I might be a home owner, but I am a gear head!!!! THis is the end to the means!!! I have the top of the line Troybilt and I paid $375 for it less than two years ago. One wheel is dangling, the deck got bent by hitting something, clipping don't go into the bag. Even after hammering the deck back, wash the bag, sharpened the blade, still not working right. I have to really increase the rpm to make it work better!!! "

Whether your mower has an engine made by Briggs, Kawasaki, Honda, Tecumseh, Suzuki, Chrysler, Volvo or Rolls is irrelevant. In homeowners use it will outlast the rest of the mower as you have already proven. If you have destroyed a mower frame and non-engine components in two years a commercial grade new mower with a motor made by a motor cycle manufacturer is not going to solve your problem. You need to learn how to maintain and take care of your equipment before sinking more money into yet another new and this time expensive mower. Unless of course you are looking for a way to burn money.

"I'll take a commercial this time. The reason I rather not get Honda is because I have bad experience with their warrantee and people responded that they have problems with having warrantee service of their Honda mowers. A lot of them got denied."

Once again, a mower engine with a fancy nameplate is not going to solve your problem. The least expensive hardware store no-name lawnmower should last longer than two years.

• daflea66
    12 years ago

There is no comparison between the FJ180 and Honda engines if you are cutting commercially. The Honda is NOT a true commercial duty mower. The kaw muscles through everything but the impossible conditions.

Keep your blade sharpened and at the correct angle, adjust throttle as needed on whatever mower/engine youre using, and happy mowing.

PS: I have a Toro Suzuki with over 20,000 lawns cut and its still working strong. The Honda/Kaw 4 cycle replacements wont see that durability I am sure, but I have sold all Hondas and gone Kaw. after several thousand cuts with each.

• Brandon Smith
    12 years ago

I cant stand all the people who either dont understand how to work on a Honda, are critical of Honda's because of their name (they are made in GA FYI), or are just hard core fan boys of their respective hugging brand, saying things like "this other brand will last way longer than that Honda engine". It just simply isn't true. Obviously you can use the internet just do a search, Honda is the largest engine manufacturer in the world and that is a good thing. My father in law has had the same Honda mower for about 20y and it still starts on the first pull, never smokes and is able to give him the best looking lawn in the subdivision.

Im not saying the Kawa isn't good either but I just dont know anything about them and I will not say bad things about/even comment on something I dont know about first hand. All im saying that trash talking the Honda is not in line with what pretty much every other source of info is in line with...