Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn Boy Starts Once

Posted by iwannaride Z6 OH (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 6:23

I have a LB 8237 purchased in 1978 or 1979. Still runs good but only starts when cold and then will start on the first pull. If it runs only a minute, it will not start again until a long rest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn Boy Starts Once

So, how big is your lawn?

o

Flat head engine 4 stroke engine? If so I would remove the head clean the carbon from the combustion chamber (head, valves, top of piston, head gasket, and spark plug) and look for slop between piston and cylinder wall.

2 cycle? WTFO probably.

o

I have one that did that many years ago. It was bad electronic ignition coil (if that's the right term). Replaced it and its' still going strong.

o

Thanks for the replies.

Mike, the yard is very small and the LB is used as my trim mower. I use a small lawn tractor for most of the work.

rcmoser, the LB is a 2 cycle engine, F series I think.

whizzer72, I expect the same as you; i.e., the warm engine changes the coil characteristics so the spark isn't as strong. Just hate the cost of a new coil for troubleshooting.

o

I agree with whizzer, The way to find out if the module is not working is to disconnect the spark plug wire, remove the plug , reconnect the plug wire .then with the plug touching a bare metal spot on the mower, pull the starter cord and see if there is a spark. If no spark, it's the module.

o

I'll try the spark test suggested by bogman to see if I have spark. If not, could it possibly be a bad spark plug?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here