Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phrogvt

brand new mower acts like it's old

phrog
10 years ago

About 3 months ago, I bought the top-of-the-line DR Trimmer Mower, self-propelled, electric start, Briggs & Stratton 875 motor.

There's plenty of fresh gas and oil in it, and I've used it a total of about 2 hours.

The problem is that it stalls every few minutes, sounding like it's out of fuel (but it isn't.) It doesn't have to be cutting anything when this happens...it can just be idling. I usually smell gasoline when it dies.

Also, I can't have the choke totally off --then it won't start at all or just sputters to life for a few seconds and dies. I need it to be about 25% on.

My question is, what is the logical problem to think about based on only 2 hours of use?

I called DR and was told to clean the air/fuel filters, and add Gumout to the gas tank. All this for a new machine?

But it's also under a 6 month trial ownership policy, so I have to decide whether to return it.

Comments (4)

• ericwi
    10 years ago

Federal EPA regulations require that new manufacture power mowers have carburetors and ignition systems that lower hydrocarbon emissions, and this means that your new mower has a carburetor that is set up at the factory to run lean. If there is any residual gum in the carburetor jet, it will constrict the flow of fuel, and cause the air/fuel mixture to become even more lean, which causes the symptoms you are having. To keep this from happening, you can use fresh gasoline, and run the carburetor dry when you are finished mowing, if that is possible. If there is a particular brand and grade of gasoline that is favored by the local lawn and garden people, that is the one that I would be using.

• itzbinnice
    10 years ago

Just my opinion, but If I were in your shoes I'd return it.
    Unless you used some really bad gas (old) it should not behave this way after 2 hrs, especially with having to leave the choke on partially.

With the new EPA regulations all powered small engines run on the lean side, this manifests itself with the engine not quite running smoothly at idle. As soon as a load is put on it , the engine SHOULD smoothen out and run nicely.

If you really like the unit and the manufacturer offers warranty service locally, I would let them try to repair it.
    Make sure this is accomplished within the 6 month time frame.

• baymee
    10 years ago

How did it run the first two hours? I wouldn't rule out dirt in the carburetor unless it has a fuel filter, as you seem to indicate.

If it ran well at first, I would try it without the air filter first, and look at the carb jets second.

• rcmoser
    10 years ago

IMO I would also return it and get my money back..