Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snapper repower

Posted by nolaslumlord none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 8:45

Tried to see if this question had been asked before but didnt see it.
Repowering a 21" Snapper HiVac. Has the original Big Six/Quantum on it, but its getting very weak. I have had great experience with the Briggs Quantum or similar engines for years of cutting but I am kind of lost when it comes to the new classifications and naming.
Narrowed it down to three choices:
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/121R02-0110.html#prettyPhoto

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/126T02-0491-Cov_2.html

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/12J902-0124.html

Is there any real benefit to the OHV models? I do like I/C models for the Cast sleeve and the Quantum design that I am familiar with.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snapper repower

Please post the numbers of the existing engine: model, type, and code. This will help in determining details such as existing crankshaft diameter/ length and fuel tank size. The engines you listed have different crankshaft diameters. The OHV engine is heavier.

The engine on the Snapper HiVac was a tight fit and in some cases, a custom fuel tank was installed to clear the bag chute. Also, some of these used the 25 MM crankshaft. New Quantum engines meet tier 3 emission standards and no longer have the idle speed circuit in the carburetor.

o

Personally, I would opt for the Quantum engine. Been a great engine for more than 20 years. The OHV engine is also good, and has better fuel economy and emissions.

In addition to outline dimension issues and crankshaft diameter, also make sure the engine you purchase is a "compliance" engine with flywheel brake. The IC motor definitely has bowden connections for the flywheel brake. Not sure about the other Quantum. The IC motor also has the iron sleeve which I consider an added advantage.

o

ggoyeneche, Thats pretty much what i was thinking. The Quantum is just so simple and reliable. I've put so many hours on similar units. I just wasnt sure if the OHV was clearly WAY better than the flatheads.

I'll try to get the engine info soon. The examples given are just an example of the types I'm looking at.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here