Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawnboy question

Posted by richard_schmidt 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 9:53

Hi Again,

My Lawn boy model # 8157 was recently added to my shed and the problem with it is that while it starts well, when it's running it smokes a lot. Any suggestions? I use the 32/1 mix, etc.

I'm a longtime LawnBoy owner and after Katrina, 2005, I had to replace my saltwater existing Lawnboy's with used ones that did not flood. What do I have to clean and how to do it? Please help me.

Members: Your past help was wonderful. Gas bulb, bore out jets in carb, ignition health, etc.

Richard Schmidt
Retired roofer
New Orleans, La
504-494-4075
rchrdschmidt@gmail.com
or snowwhiteroofers@cox.net

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawnboy question

With a 2-cycle, smoking does not necessarily indicate an oil consumption problem like it would on a 4-cycle because all the oil is in the fuel. What it usually means is it is burning too much fuel/oil mix. A mower that old might have mixture adjustment screws. Otherwise the float and fuel inlet valve may be stuck. Before freaking out, I would pick up the side of the deck with the air cleaner (engine turned off, of course) and drop it from about 6" a few times to see if it shakes the float loose. Start using a combination fuel system cleaner/fuel stabilizer like Seafoam, and add 2 oz/gal of Marvel Mystery Oil to your regular fuel mix.

o

What kind of oil are you using?
With Lawnboy oil being scarce I've been using Echo Power Blend for some time now in my 34 year old mower with good results. No smoking.
Also, do not use 2-cycle outboard motor oil. It will not withstand the higher temps of lawn equipment.

o

There is an "Altitude adjustment" needle valve that, if not set properly can cause smoking. It's on the left side of the carb when facing it. It's the only adjustment screw on that carb;. To set it properly, you close it, then open 1/2 turn. Start the mower and set it on low speed. Let it run to warm up a few minutes. Turn the screw a little either way to smooth out the engine. Then set the speed to high and, if the motor sounds like it's running lean or rich, adjust the valve until the engine runs smoothly. Also don't forget to check the air cleaner and as Sax said give it a drop to dislodge the float . Good Luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here