Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carb leaking gas on B&S 6.75 mower

Posted by mtbstuff (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 10:14

I have a Polan Pro mower with a 6.75 B&S motor.
It was running fine until last week when it would sometimes leak gas out of the carb throat.
Simple...it's the float, needle or seat, right?

I replaced all of the above...as well as cleaned the main jet and gave all the passages a blast of carb cleaner. Also pulled the fuel line and gave that a blast.

Bolted it back up and all was fine. Mowed the lawn. When I shut it off...fuel leaked again!

What am I missing here???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carb leaking gas on B&S 6.75 mower

It is very intermittent.
It sat all last night without leaking.
It then leaked at some point this morning.
I have not touched it.

Also...everything was very clean inside when I took it apart.

I am stumped!

o

I have had the same experience, twice. The cause of the first problem was a damaged seat. Gas was slowly getting past it and flooding the carb. The seat was only 2 years old and it was cracked on the grooved side. The second time on another piece of equipment with a 6.5 HP Briggs, I suspect dirt particles from either the gas tank or crumbling inside the fuel line . This caused an intermittent clogging and flooding much more severe than the damaged seat. The only other thing I can suggest is make sure the seat is pushed all the way down ( groove side down ) I seem to recall instructions saying to use a drill bit flat end to push the seat down.

o

Is it possible to install a manual fuel shut off valve between the gas tank and the carburetor. It sounds like the leak is only causing a problem during storage. A shut off valve, opened for use and closed for storage would resolve the problem, if there was room to install one.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 14:46

I also had a similar problem and the replacement seat was bad too! 2nd one worked.

o

Remember if you get a new seat or remove there is a up and down on the seat installation. The ring on the end goes to the carburetor base not the needle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here