Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
17 hp won't start

Posted by hoppya (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 19, 10 at 11:24

Sears LT 2000 917. 273135 won't start. Originally sounded like solenoid but now doesn't even click. Turn key and you see a little draw on amps. Checked battery it's ok. Don't have a manual and can't even find the solenois

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 17 hp won't start

Engine model number?

Walt Conner

o

Kohler CV490S

o

The solenoid is on the other end of the battery + cable. It has 2 small terminals to which one will need to be grounded and the other 12v when the key is turned. Good time to clean the battery cables and ensure they are secure.Battery was load tested?

o

It was tested at the store and was OK. I took an electric meter and tested all red lines and got power up to what I thought was the starter and had power. When I turn the key nothing happens. I know there is a seat kill switch that won't let anything happen if not sitting. Is it possible to short that somehow to see if it's not working. There is also a kill switch in the clutch. The only problem with these is that originally it sounded like the solenoid with the clicking sound similar to a car. Found a manual online and will be able to track it better but am at a loss

o

Can you turn the engine using the screen that is over the flywheel by hand?

o

Actually I read in another forum to try to jump it with my car. So after I replaced the solenoid it would turn the starter but not enough to engage the flywheel. Jumped it and it started right up but when I unhook the battery cables it stops. The store said the battery was OK. Is there something else it could be or were they wrong about the battery

o

You need to check your battery cables and cable connections including where the ground attaches to the frame. You apparently have jumper cables, use them to jump from your existing battery. Try with the ground jumper cable attached, try without. Somewhere in this you should get a clue where the problem is.

Walt Conner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here