Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pabearman

Lawn Boy starting issues

PAbearman
10 years ago

Hi There!

I have a Lawn Boy 2310 Self-propelled mower I bought off Craigslist. It ran good when I went to check it out but the self-propel control cable was broken but figured that was an easy fix so I got it for $80.

I got it home and mowed the front and back lawns just fine even with the wet grass. Then I did something stupid....

When I went to replace the broken drive cable I tipped the mower forward...(cue the laughs). After failing to start it I realized I must have flooded the engine with oil so I took the plug and oil soaked filter out and replaced them. Still no luck. I pulled the starter cord multiple times with the plug out to "flush" out any oil in the cylinder. Still no luck. I sprayed a ton of starter fluid in there...nothing.

So I thought it wasn't getting a spark. there's just no way that much starter fluid wouldn't at least catch the grass on fire!

Then I saw the ground wire...or whatever green wire runs around the bottom of the engine. There was a push connector there so I just pulled it apart. One pull and it fired right up! If I connect the wire it won't start. Disconnected starts and runs like a dream. When I let go of the top bar it stops right away and the engine is killed.

Now after all that my question is what is the consequence of running the mower without a connected ground cable? Thanks for bearing with me through that!

Comments (5)

• tomplum
    10 years ago

The model # doesn't seem to fit what you are describing. Missing a digit? You seem to be describing the ground wire that runs to a sensor to be sure that you have the bag or chute installed. (rear bagger) Is this an Insight?

• James Cooley
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Same mower, but mine will start, run for a few seconds then die like its not getting gas. Checked the lines, and the carb, I can make it run longer if I manually adjust the throttle but eventually it dies. Im thinking it needs a new carb kit or priming bulb but I cant find anything on this model.

• 300ft_anin
    5 years ago

hi, you can try and do a more thorough carb cleaning, if you have the time. you'll probably find that you can just replace the carb with a new 1 for little $ and be done with it.

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago
    • Yeah , you can pick up the Walbro float carb for this tecumseh engine for $12.50 with the red purge pump and emulsion tube . Keep yours for a spare and disassemble and clean as a weekend job !
  • ssewalk1
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Roflmao ! I had a customer drop off a similar 10682 2007 model lawn Boy this afternoon . He stated he picked it up @ his local junk yard for free , surprisingly since it was very clean . He said he drained the fuel and oil and refilled along with a new plug , but it would not start . I checked the compression , which was within spec for this last model yr Tecumseh engine . I noticed the air filter and housing missing so assumed he had played with the carb , however when I dropped the float bowl it needed a good cleaning . After servicing the carb attempted to start the engine , Zippo . I checked for spark , again Zippo ! I then noticed the grass bagger was removed and the mulch plug was on . I inspected for the bag interlock sensor green ground wire and it was coiled up under the recoil shroud (plugged in ). I unplugged the wire and lit up the little green monster 6.5 hp 4 Cycle . I noticed a little stumble in the idle so I added a little Seafoam to the fuel tank and let it run for 20 minutes and it smoothed right out . I thought it idled a little high but it should be good when the customer replaces the air filter . I called the customer who advised if he basket case was dead to just keep it for parts . I told him it was ready for pick up however the blade could use a sharpening , which he green lighted . The Moral of this Story is , I almost had a free lawn Boy , however most likely have a happier potential repeat customer in the future ! lol.