Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn Boy 10550 Transmission Grease

Posted by cordes26 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 11:29

Was wondering what the recommended frequency is to repack the transmission case on this mower? Want to keep it going strong for many years to come but parts are getting scarce and more expensive. Nothing is mentioned in any of the manuals about this. Not even the type of grease that's required. Saxman1?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn Boy 10550 Transmission Grease

Sten's #00 grease. I use a very old hand drill with a 1/8" bit and carefully drill a hole as high as I can get on the box, near a corner. Turning the hand drill slowly brings out the cutting so it doesn't go into the box. Then I cut the tip off the grease bottle spout and inject as much as I can. You have to remove the tip from the hole a few times to let air off. Finally I put a small O-ring on a short self-tapping screw and plug the hole. You probably don't even need the O-ring but it serves to keep the screw from vibrating out. This will last for years. You may not have to do it but once, depending on how long you keep the mower.
I assume you hit the grease zerk fittings on the clutch assemblies on the rear wheel adjusters with your grease gun with #1 1/2 or #2 white lithium grease once a year, usually just one pump.

o
RE: Lawn Boy 10550 Transmission Grease

Thanks for the info Saxman1. I was thinking about removing the box case to repack it with grease but your method sounds easier.
Yes I always hit those zerk fittings at least once a year. Never had a problem yet with the clutch assemblies or the transmission gear box.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here