Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tecumseh Engine Speed

Posted by mxyplx (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 11:46

I am refurbishing my old Craftsman (Tecumseh) engine model 143.394172 new about 1988. It has a 2 speed carb. Haven't used it for 3 years.

Anyway when last I was using it, if I put it on low speed it would run at low speed for a while then get progressively faster till it was running at approx 2/3 max rpm. Seemed like as the engine got hotter the rpm got higher. Somehow that throttle setting was advancing as the temp goes up.

This all occurred after the engine was maybe 20 years old. When new this didn't happen.

How can I fix it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tecumseh Engine Speed

If you are correct on the abnormally high operating temps, more common causes could be a partially sheared flywheel key or that it is simply not running up as well as could be IE too lean. Sae 30 oil is best.

o
RE: Tecumseh Engine Speed

Hi-
The engine didn't overheat. The rpm increased as the engine warmed up to normal operating temp.

The carb is a fixt jet, The air cleaner filter is clean and free. Throttle shaft is not loose near as I can tell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here