Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liger_gw

Toro, Honda or Craftsman - which one?

liger
10 years ago

Trying to decide between these 3 lawn mowers:

CRAFTSMANî/MD $399
Craftsman 22'' 3-in-1 Briggs & Stratton 725 Platinum Series Engine Self-Propelled Mower
http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-md-craftsman-22-3-in-1-briggs-stratton-725-platinum-series-engine/671-000927525-36308

Toro $439
Personal Pace Electric Start 22 Inch Self-Propelled Gas Mower
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/personal-pace-electric-start-22-inch-self-propelled-gas-mower/908288

Honda HRR2169VKC $559
http://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawnmowers/residential-series/hrr2169vkc

Would like a mower that mulches very well and doesn't get stuck all the time.

Thanks

Comments (8)

• tn_gardening
    10 years ago

I can't speak to the exact function of the Craftsman or Toro, but I find that the Honda quadra cut two blade mowers do an excellent job at mulching. But it ought to because it costs 40% more than the Craftsman on your list.

As to the electric start mower (Toro). I don't think I'd ever want that feature, so i'd opt for the Toro without that nonsense.

Stuck? Do u mean your clippings often clog your mower? If so, you might want to spray the underside with some cooking spray or cut your grass more often (even the best mulching mowers recommend frequent mowing).

• liger
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Why are you opposed to the electric start?

Yes the clipping always clog the mower - i cut once a week.

and go for a push or self propel? my lot is fairly flat and is about 60 x 75.

• Colloquor
    10 years ago

I would personally stay away from the Craftsman, as I believe they are manufactured by AYP (American Yard Products) or MTD. I would suggest you strongly consider the Toro 20380 mower which uses the variable speed drive system on the Super Recycler cast aluminum deck. You won't find this model at Home Depot, rather you'll have to go to an authorized Toro dealer/mower shop.

The Honda would also be a good choice.

• jimbosc
    10 years ago

Of those 3 - I think the longevity of the Honda drive system is best. Toro Recyclers are good also - but I trust the Toro drive system on the Recycler less (it is built to a low price point....you get what you pay for).

Craftsman self-propels internal parts are all plastic - they don't last.

Always get a RWD self propel - FWD is not all that effective unless you never bag (even then.....not the best set-up).

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

Honda, you/your lawn deserve it!

• robertz6
    10 years ago

I bought two Craftsman new and had bad luck with both. The service was awful. The neighbor gave me his four year Toro when he moved. No problems with it so far.

If you take good care of your equipment, get the Honda. If not, get whatever is the cheapest.

• jberman2016
    7 years ago

I would recommend Toro Recycler 6.5 HP GTS (Guaranteed to Start) walk behind lawn mover. No need for an electric starter since it start at the first or second pull not more than that. And it hardly need any maintenance, I changed the spark plug once and oil a few times in the last 16 years and the air filter never been changed. The cutting and mulching is still good even thought the blade edge has a few chip offs from running over rocks. I may change the belt next season if tightening could help avoiding the growling sound I hear once in a while where the grass is thicker. I think the belt slips.

• andrelaplume2
    7 years ago

Realize that the new model TORO is likely is not the same quality as your 16 year old one! Case in point, my 14 year old Toro has some issue I can't figure out. She starts but blows some blue smelly smoke at first. She seems a bit underpowered and once run for a while it won't restart till it cools off. I tried a new coil...no luck. She has been retired to mulching leaves. Still 14 years!!! The new Toro has a Chinese engine...not sure how long it will last but its been fine for a couple of years now. Don't get me wrong, it seems way more study than Pop's $399 Honda jobber that cant mulch for crap...but its not quite the unit I bought 14 years ago. Funny, its cheaper now than back then!