Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baronvdb

Toro 22035 TV5002 Commercial Push Mower. High rev, stalling, fuel

baronvdb
11 years ago

Hi guys,

I've post about this mower once before about a year ago but now i've got a new problem. Recently it seems to have been revving higher than normal and stalling out quite a bit. Last week it finally wouldn't start anymore and i took to the shop. The shop guy said he couldn't get it start and basically pronounced it dead.

For fun today i tried to start it and it fired up and shot the attached video. Please take a look and let me know if you have any ideas as to what the problem could be. It almost seems like fuel issue but i would think the shop guy could have figured that out.

I've owned this mower since new in 1986 so i would love to keep it mowing and know these engine normally never die!

Here is a link that might be useful: Toro Mower Issue

Comments (5)

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Loosen fuel cap to see if it's a venting issue.
    Have you checked for spark immediately after it quits?

• baronvdb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well, i started it again this afternoon and it didn't stall out right away so i didn't get a chance to test the above suggestions.

I have a backup mower with the same engine and here's what I've noticed:

1. the mower with the stalling issue is 2 or maybe 3 times as loud.
    2. the mower with the stalling issue shakes/vibrates pretty violently compared to the backup mower.

I think the fuel escaping out fo the gas cap is simply due to the tank shaking so much.

Not sure what else to try.

• indy452
    11 years ago

Personally, I think your RPM's are too high. Especially when you restarted it....they sounded like 4000+ there.

Is the blade bent for it to cause vibration? Is the crank bent slightly? Something is causing the vibration...they just don't it on there own.

As for the stalling, Could be a dying cd pack or it simply cannot handle the high rpm or like on many Suzuki two cycles the Mikuni carb is fussy and needs a good disassemble and cleaning job. The throttle shaft could be wearing too.....it looks like your 22035 has the mileage on it for carb problems to start popping up.

Another thing to check is the exhaust port.....remove the muffler and see if there is a buildup of carbon in the hole....Its doubtful with the huge single port but I suppose anything is possible if this machine has been run for years at that high rpm.

On the rpm there is a spring and you will see three small holes in the gov lever arm that the spring end goes through, move the spring into a different hole to bring the rpm down a notch or two...I don't remember which way to move it, up or down...its been a long time since I've done this....

Otherwise, new carb may be in order and or new cd pack....they are very expensive...just warning you.

• baronvdb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks! I'll give some of those things a try this weekend. I do have two of these mowers so i suppose i could take the best parts from each to make one nice mower. I just bought the 2nd one last week for $50 on craigslist.

or i could just take the engine of the other one (the deck, tranny, wheels are all questionable on the other one). Not sure how big job swapping engines would be as i've never tried it.

• baronvdb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, after all this time i finally did an engine swap so I have the working engine on my old deck (which is in better shape and better tranny).

I noticed fuel leaking onto the deck from the carb area so i replace the fuel lines and got better clamps to ensure the leak wasn't coming from where the fuel line connects to the carb or to the bottom of the gas tank.

Today, i noticed that since i've done that there is still a slow leak of fuel coming from the carb area. I can rule out any leaking from the fuel lines so it must be coming from the carb itself or possible where the carb connects to the main engine (bad gasket?).

I should mention that i put the air cleaner and the muffler from my original mower on to this engine.

So, as far as fixing this leak what do you guys suggest?

Options:
    Order the carb kit that has new gaskets etc and see if that stops the leaking OR
    I could take the carb off the other engine clean it and see if that one leaks or not (I've never cleaned a carb so I'd need some advice on that). I did take off the carb on the engine I"m not using today and after fighting to get the carb rod loose I got the carb off.

I must admit it's kinda of a pain but at the same time I'm enjoying messing with engine myself. This is my first engine project. Sorry for the long post.