Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtee1

Hayter Harrier 41

JTEE1
10 years ago

Hi,

Have a Hayter Harrier with a Briggs and Stratton engine. It wouldn't run for very long and now the cord wont pull. The blades move about half a turn and I have taken out the spark plug and the piston is moving to a certain extent.
Can anybody give me so pointers please as it's borrowed and I don't want to buy a new mower !

Comments (12)

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Define "certain extent".
    What's the MODEL & TYPE numbers of the engine?
    I have IPL's for over 700 different Briggs engines. Knowing WHICH one might be useful?????
    Hint- 650 Ex Series⢠Ecoplus is NOT a model & type-
    Click the link for a tutorial-

Any other details we need to know, like I ran it out of oil or it made a terrible sound or ????

Here is a link that might be useful: What's a Model & Type number?

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 21:33

• rcmoser
    10 years ago

First question comes to mine??? Did you check the oil level before you started it up? and did it have oil in it?

Now if it had oil in it and at the proper level and I didn't think I locked it up from no oil and overheating.. If you answer is nope on oil then new mower or mower repair bill maybe in the future budget...(This is me, I hate borrowing due to the fact you don't know the condition of the equipment? that's why you MUST check fluid levels before use...

Now if we are pass that next would be like winning the lottery for this to be problem, but won't hurt to check???

I would look at the flywheel brake (Follow the lever you pull before you attempt to start the mower) Make sure the lever is attached to the cable, the cable is attached to the flywheel brake and watch it's movement? Is the brake releasing???
    I can tell you

• JTEE1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much for the replies.

The lawnmower is my fathers, looked after and has oil.
    The blade turns pulling the start cord until its taught against the handle and the blade cannot go any further.
    There was no bangs, smoke or anything. It locked up when I was trying to start the mower.

Hope this help.

Thanks.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

It's probably toast, but you still haven't given the Model & Type#.
    Something like that might help us determine if it's an OHV engine or NOT.
    That could make a difference on troubleshooting.
    Since that doesn't seem important to you, go buy a new engine.

• JTEE1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

Just managed to get to it.
    It's Model 90202, Type 030601, Code 95101254

• JTEE1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have taken the cord assembly off and got to what I believe is the flywheel, the brake is releasing. I can turn the flywheel with my hand about 75% of a full rotation and then there's definite stop; as if it hitting something. No noise, just something which is stopping it going any further. Not sure where to go from here?

• JTEE1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some progress. I managed to move and free the flywheel (incl nearly losing my finger!). This has brought about another problem. The cord rewinds under pressure when not on the mower, however when its on the mower it pulls until it runs out of cord - never retuning. I could be being thick here, but surely the cord mechanism has to work independently of the flywheel shaft in order is can return?

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

I have a hunch the con rod is broken.
    Stick a wooden pencil or similar through the spark plug hole.
    SLOWLY rotate the flywheel back & forth.
    Do you feel the piston move up & down?

• JTEE1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Bill, I have removed the plug and the piston is moving up and down quite freely. I also did the same moving the blade.

• JTEE1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill, do you also know why the cord wont return? How does it move independent of the con rod?

Thanks, John.

• JTEE1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Solved! The clutch ball bearing had become dislodged. I then cleaned the Carb and it now runs like a dream.

Thanks for your help.

• andyma_gw
    10 years ago

Good Job JTEE . That repair was one of my first tries at lawnmower maintenance.